Air bags on 94 GMC Sierra new truck to be

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pk64f100

Reaction score
I just purchased a 94 GMC Sierra SLE ext cab. It has a electric brake, Firestone air bag in rear. I have no experience with these air bags. How much pressure to put in and how to maintain any help out there? The air valve are on rear bumper next to lic plate 2-valves

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Those are considered "helper" bags for heavy loads, the max load and pressure amount would be determined by the model # most likely. The tough part is knowing what kit you have installed but if you can get some clear pictures of all the components including any part #'s, that may help determine what you have.

The one thing to keep in mind is most of these setups are designed to run with some air in them at all times, or the bags can become damaged. I forget how much is minimum unloaded pressure spec - but at least 10-20 psi is probably a good starting place. Some searching on Firestone's site could get you some useful info. Here are some very general tips - https://www.firestoneip.com/ride-rite/technical-tips/

BTW if they're just on there because they came with the truck, and you don't really need them, you might do well to carefully remove the kit whole and offer it for sale. Otherwise, you're gonna constantly be tending to whether they have the minimum amount of air to prevent damage to the bags, and that can be a chore when you have the manual (no on-board compressor w/gauge) kit.

Richard

Last edited:

pk64f100

Reaction score
I used the Firestone web site to find the kit for my truck--'97 K2500.

The listed minimum pressure on the web page for that kit is 5 psi. Max is 100 psi.

Look up your vehicle, see what the minimum/maximum pressures are supposed to be.
Thank you

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run 20 lbs in the helpers on my NBS daily. You'll need to figure out where they ride best, and if you're going to keep them I highly recommend getting an on board compressor and gauge. I have an Airlift set-up, but there are other options that'll do the job. The convenience is well worth the money.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
With no leaks indefinitely.

I recommend an onboard air controller as well.
Many of them monitor and keep the minimum air pressure in the bags automatically.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I had a set (airlift) on my 'old' 99 k1500, ran them around 17psi and loved them. Given i had an extended cab short bed with a behind cab toolbox full of tools and typically a cooler of drinks in the bed at all times.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With no leaks indefinitely.

I recommend an onboard air controller as well.
Many of them monitor and keep the minimum air pressure in the bags automatically.
Be sure and power it through a keyed source. This prevents a dead battery if you get a leak when it's parked. My limit switch is set at 5lbs, if there's less than that at any time the key is on the compressor kicks on.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks how long does the air usually hold 1 day, a week or???
My bagged dually will lose pressure in a few hours, but I need over 100 lbs to pick it up. Running new lines and fittings is on my to do list.

The helpers in my NBS haven't lost air in 18 months. They'll hold 20lbs in below zero weather.