Air Bag System write up (short)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I figured I would do a quick write up concerning the Air Bag system on these trucks, so that you guys don't have to go through what I experienced, lol. So I was replacing my multifunction switch this past week, Had to take the drivers side air bag off to take off the steering wheel. By the way, before ever working on your air bag system, always take out the fuse(s) (#10 '96+) and let it sit for a good 10 min to let the system discharge and ALWAYS store the air bag so that the finished side is pointing towards the ceiling incase of accidental deployment, it will not be flying through you roof... So I ended up replacing the multifunction switch, when came time to re-connect the air bag connector (clock spring), I ended up not pushing the connector "in" far enough and when came time to start up the truck, I had a nice bright air bag light on my cluster.

Now, I found out the hard way but the only way to have the light turned off or reset is by using a special scan tool or if you happen to be "cheap" like me, you can cycle the ignition on and off (waiting for the Air Bag light to blinks 7 times) for a total of 250 TIMES!!

So the purpose of this thread is, whenever you mess with the Air Bags, be 100% sure that all connectors have been plugged back in ALL THE WAY, along with the plastic connector assurance clips.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Agreed, I have done that couple times when putting dashes or steering columns back together in a rush.

Instead of pulling the fuse, you can also disconnect the battery and hold the two cables together for 10 seconds, it will drain the capacitors in the Modules as well. Sometimes it will clear the ABS codes as well.

97 silveraydo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently pulled my dash apart to replace gauge lights with LED lights. So I had to unplug the airbag switch where you can turn the pass side airbag on/off. Up until that point I had always left the pass side off with no problem. Once I put it all back together I turned on the key and the airbag lights stayed on. I checked all my connections and everything is good. The only way the light will go off is if I turn the pass airbag on? Any idea what could cause this?

ShaneM

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting 6 blinks of the AirBag light when I start up my 99 Tahoe, only after I put in a new Z56 cluster. I go back to my old cluster, no blinking light. Back again to the new Z56, light blinks 6 times then turns off. Any ideas?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Airbag light is burned out in your old cluster lol. It's supposed to blink when you start up.

Last edited:

ShaneM

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Airbag light is burned out in your old cluster lol. It's supposed to blink when you start up.
first you said ABS and obviously that was a mistake and you updated to airbag. I guess that could still be true, I am not sure I ever saw airbag light on the old cluster even at start. 6 times seems excessive for “everything is okay” ...