aftermarket fuel pressure regulator options for TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No wiring needed...drops right in. Use a 90 Camaro IROC to find it. The great thing about this pump is it flows plenty for hp, but can be regulated down with your stock return line without pressure creep. I ran it from 13-20psi (stock reg spring and then the heavier one).

ok thanks. I called autozone and they said it was around $85, I cant recall exactly right now. Does that sound about right? I plan on grabbing it tomorrow so I can do the pump Saturday :D I can't wait to get the truck running the way its supposed to be....

They also tried to recommend a Bosch part#69218, or Airtex pump (airtex being the cheapest).

Edit - Scratch the auto-zone idea. I just ordered it from Rock-auto. Probably wont be here by Saturday but we will wait and see.

Last edited:

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Smart move. Airtex = China. ACDelco = USA. I figured for something that is such a pain in the ass to change...I was going to go USA even though it's double the price. haha

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Smart move. Airtex = China. ACDelco = USA. I figured for something that is such a pain in the ass to change...I was going to go USA even though it's double the price. haha

That is what I figured- I am going to move the bed back so I can switch it out. When I put the bed on it weighed quiet a bit...... Don't want to keep taking it on and off a lot lol

Plus this pump will allow for future mods. The sending unit is brand new, so after the pump the fuel tank will be basically new (tank was a used one but no rust :D )

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I got the new pump in - I must say, that made a world of difference when I first started it up. Sounds a lot different too, which I think is a little odd, but I love it. If i go above 13psi, the truck stalls, so I have the pressure set to 10-11psi and it runs great. The pressure seems to go higher as it warms up, not sure if thats the pump or my regulator (looking into better quality regulator as a early Christmas gift to myself hehe).

It does have a little idle issue tho - It idles great then every 5-10seconds the rpms drop to almost stalling, then bounce right back up to 700-800rpms until it drops again. I checked timing, and timing is fine. SES is off, and I connected my laptop to it and there are no codes.

It has a new ignition coil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, and I checked for vacuum leaks and did not find any. Any other ideas of what it is? This is all on the stock chip. I am thinking maybe the fuel injectors - I removed the filter and looked at the injectors, all I could see is fuel that looks like its building up on the butterflies. It looked like a lot of fuel to me, but I do not have another 350 TBI to compare it to.

Any ideas?

cland

Reaction score
Check your idle air control valve. I was having the same issue. Changed mine out and solved the idle problem. I also recommend using an AC-Delco valve.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok, will it do it all the time if it is the IACV ? I noticed when the truck is cold it idles great, when it warms up the idle drops .

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I replaced the IACV and my idle is much better. Although - I do have a question regarding the regulator. It has a vacuum port on it which adjusts the fuel pressure depending on the vacuum.... I do not have it hooked up right now but I have the fuel pressure set to 9psi, because at idle anything higher and it stumbles on itself. I was running it at 12-13psi and it was running very very rich, so rich I think it was causing the rough idle.

If I connect the vacuum line from the regulator to a vacuum source - will i then be able to run it at 12-13psi, and at idle it would pull the pressure down? I could not find anything regarding a vacuum fuel pressure regulator..

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. Vacuum should pull the pressure down. But you should not be rich at 9psi. I don't know that I would trust that reading. This is from the AFPR that you get 9psi? And this is the same place that gave you a 4psi reading before? I've got to think your gauge is incorrect.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No - the gauge on the AFPR doesn't work. I think the regulator is screwed up because it wont adjust past 11psi now, and the oher day it ran 15psi great, so I am going to source out a new one. Any recommendations from summit or jegs?

cland

Reaction score
Aeromotive 13301 universal bypass regulator. 3-20 psi spring comes installed and 20-65 psi spring is included. $127.95 at summit