Advice on new engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VALBOLSKI

Reaction score
My 1995 Sierra has 316,000 miles on it. In the last few months, I've had to replace a few expansion plugs on the block. I now have a plug leaking at the rear of the block. I love the truck, so I'm gonna bite the bullet and order a new re manufactured engine for it.
I've been seriously thinking about ordering a 96-2000 Vortec long block for it, and getting a TBI intake for the Vortec heads. Would this be a worth while upgrade, or should i just get a 87-95 long block, install it, and leave it be. My question is, what would be the pros and cons, and would it run well with the vortec upgrade? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
It's hard to say I personally would go back to a TBI 5.7 they were great mpg getters and were bullet proof no they didn't get down a quarter mile fast but I personally would just swap in another tbi5.7 and go another 300 k or more and call it a day. It's a pickup truck not a race car. I think that manifold is like $500 -$600 to gain really what for hp? My opinion just replace with rebuilt version of what you got or just spend the money and LS swap it.

VALBOLSKI

Reaction score
It's hard to say I personally would go back to a TBI 5.7 they were great mpg getters and were bullet proof no they didn't get down a quarter mile fast but I personally would just swap in another tbi5.7 and go another 300 k or more and call it a day. It's a pickup truck not a race car. I think that manifold is like $500 -$600 to gain really what for hp? My opinion just replace with rebuilt version of what you got or just spend the money and LS swap it.
That convincing enough for me. Thank you.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Vortec swap would involve a bit of fabrication and adapting. A TBI block is a bolt-in and go affair.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2 with both answers. The only gains with a Vortec block is a roller cam and IIRC slightly higher compression.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Having gone down the road in search of more power with a SBC, I definitely agree with this. Just put it back stock, or LS swap it. I've put way too much money into trying to make power with a SBC just to end up were I could have been with a stock 5.3 for less money.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vortec heads make a mess out of using a TBI manifold. You need external EGR, and a fair amount of fabrication to get everything connected.

Enginequest makes iron heads that have the good Vortec ports and chambers, but the TBI intake manifold bolt pattern, and an exhaust crossover that the true Vortec heads don't have. I bought a pair. The intake and exhaust valve tips weren't at the same height. Maybe I could have gotten by with that. I sent 'em back.
You must be registered for see images attach

Summit offers an aluminum direct-fit cylinder head for TBI that should be a distinct improvement over the crappy swirl-port heads.

The trick with TBI short-blocks is to get one for a Caprice/Roadmaster from '91--'92. You gain the roller cam, and flat-top instead of dish pistons. If you have the Caprice oil pan, you'll need a plug for the oil-level sensor hole. Other than that, it's a direct bolt-in. I ran the Caprice service-replacement "crate engine" for ~18 years on my K1500. Ran FLAWLESS on the OEM PROM once I replaced a defective O2 sensor.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't bother with the EQ heads. The stock intake manifold won't cover the intake ports. Been there, tried that. I've seen others say they got it to work, but stock gaskets overhang the port roof on the heads and a 1205 gasket was showing the blue stripe around the top of the manifold.

VALBOLSKI

Reaction score
Vortec heads make a mess out of using a TBI manifold. You need external EGR, and a fair amount of fabrication to get everything connected.

Enginequest makes iron heads that have the good Vortec ports and chambers, but the TBI intake manifold bolt pattern, and an exhaust crossover that the true Vortec heads don't have. I bought a pair. The intake and exhaust valve tips weren't at the same height. Maybe I could have gotten by with that. I sent 'em back.
You must be registered for see images attach

Summit offers an aluminum direct-fit cylinder head for TBI that should be a distinct improvement over the crappy swirl-port heads.

The trick with TBI short-blocks is to get one for a Caprice/Roadmaster from '91--'92. You gain the roller cam, and flat-top instead of dish pistons. If you have the Caprice oil pan, you'll need a plug for the oil-level sensor hole. Other than that, it's a direct bolt-in. I ran the Caprice service-replacement "crate engine" for ~18 years on my K1500. Ran FLAWLESS on the OEM PROM once I replaced a defective O2 sensor.
Anybody have a part # on the aluminum heads from Summit?