Adding an additional amp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dylan94sierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know alot about this kinda stuff. Right now I have a 600 watt 4 channel amp in my truck running my stock speakers and 2 12s. I know that makes it very weak so I was thinking about adding a 1200 or so watt mono amp for the subs and leave the speakers on the 600. Would I have to run a different power cable and remote wire, or could I just add the amp and hook the 2 amps together off the same source? To do that would i have to splice into my power wire or connect them via rca cables? Thanks

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
You can get a junction block for the power, although you might want to get a bigger power wire. Like 2 gauge into the block and whatever you have now as the split going to each amp. I try to avoid rca "y's" because you can get distortion from it.

dylan94sierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a pretty big power wire now (not sure the exact size) I could probably use to the junction. Do you think I could rig something up with the remote wire between the amps or would I have to run it up to the head unit?

dylan94sierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Any advice on what watt amp I should get for my 2 12 mtx audio subs? They came in the box so I don't have the specs

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
You need to figure out how many ohms the subs are running. That way you can match the amp.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Can't really guess there should be a part # on them

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well you could always take them out of the box and look... They should have a sticker on the back of the magnet that will tell you how many voice coils at what resistance, plus RMS power handling capabilities.

As mentioned, you really shouldn't guess at this stuff unless you like frying things.

EDIT - Also, you CAN use RCA splitters for your signal and you CAN just daisy chain the remote wire from amp to amp, but I wouldn't really recommend either. I run multiple amps and I wired up a relay to handle the remote wire, this way I'm not attempting to draw too much power from the head unit. If you pop the internal pico fuse your head unit has for its remote wire, you're screwed. Regarding the RCA splitters, you're degrading signal strength when you split them. Which will result in gains having to be turned up higher, and possibly clarity issues. Most decent head units these days have two or three sets of RCA pre-outs, you'd be a lot better off running a dedicated set of RCAs for each stage (front, rear, subs) directly from the head unit. If your head unit doesn't have these capabilities, personally I'd be thinking about upgrading that before you go any further.

Last edited:

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Well you could always take them out of the box and look... They should have a sticker on the back of the magnet that will tell you how many voice coils at what resistance, plus RMS power handling capabilities.

As mentioned, you really shouldn't guess at this stuff unless you like frying things.

EDIT - Also, you CAN use RCA splitters for your signal and you CAN just daisy chain the remote wire from amp to amp, but I wouldn't really recommend either. I run multiple amps and I wired up a relay to handle the remote wire, this way I'm not attempting to draw too much power from the head unit. If you pop the internal pico fuse your head unit has for its remote wire, you're screwed. Regarding the RCA splitters, you're degrading signal strength when you split them. Which will result in gains having to be turned up higher, and possibly clarity issues. Most decent head units these days have two or three sets of RCA pre-outs, you'd be a lot better off running a dedicated set of RCAs for each stage (front, rear, subs) directly from the head unit. If your head unit doesn't have these capabilities, personally I'd be thinking about upgrading that before you go any further.
Listen to this guy he knows what he's talking about!