AC should not make a 454 feel gutless without getting on it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is kind of a rant but who knows, maybe my truck has a problem. Since it has gotten hot and I'm using my AC it is shocking how gutless it makes the truck under normal throttle. I have a tuned 454 with 4.10 gears and I probably have to apply 20 percent throttle or more to get the same level of performance as when the AC is not on. How dumb is that. I would hate to be pulling anything with weight while the AC is on.

Now for the question... Why does the AC on these trucks rob so much power compared to other vehicles? It seems pretty ridiculous.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I guess I didn't think about that. I'm going to check the level today. How would I know if the compressor is going bad?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Somewhere you might find the specs on how many lb/ft it should take to turn the compressor over. Maybe in the service manual (I've never looked for it) or possibly on the forums at ACkits' site. Tread lightly as those guys can be a little snippy.

I haven't had to search the info out myself because when I had a compressor going bad that was dragging the engine down, it was so bad it was obvious. There should be resistance, it's a compressor after all...but it shouldn't take massive force to turn it.

Richard

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With my stock 350 and 3.42's I cant tell a difference at all with the ac on, pulling anything or not. Its gutless under any circumstances lol.

HeavyChevy99

Reaction score
This is kind of a rant but who knows, maybe my truck has a problem. Since it has gotten hot and I'm using my AC it is shocking how gutless it makes the truck under normal throttle. I have a tuned 454 with 4.10 gears and I probably have to apply 20 percent throttle or more to get the same level of performance as when the AC is not on. How dumb is that. I would hate to be pulling anything with weight while the AC is on.

Now for the question... Why does the AC on these trucks rob so much power compared to other vehicles? It seems pretty ridiculous.

Also, What year model? Some of the later (98-99) ECM's have A/C factoring built into the TQ Management system.
I agree, look at the compressor first, but a/c compensation can be adjusted to be virtually seemless.