AC replacement advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Studio54

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So about a month ago my AC compressor blew up. But before that it would freeze up after about 40-50 minutes of running. I found out it was because the power wire to the compressor was ALWAYS hot so it never cycled. So i need to fix that first and foremost. But now im looking to replace the compressor and all components i should before i charge the system again.

Compressor
Low Pressure
High Pressure
Cycling switch?
Orifice tube
Condensor

Is there anything else i should replace while its all off and open system? Any input is appreciated.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I'd like to know also. Mine didn't blow up, but it isn't cold and there is apparent leakage around the compressor under the hood. Gonna just replace all I can when I do, though I may wait until the spring since it is cooling off here.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All you omitted is a new accumulator/drier and a good flush of the system. Be sure to add the proper amount of oil (PAG 150) back to the system as it will all be lost when you evacuate and flush it. Some compressors come pre-oiled, and some don't, so be sure to double and triple check yours and adjust your oil charge accordingly. If your compressor doesn't come with oil in it, you MUST add some to before installing it, or risk destroying the compressor AND voiding the warranty in one swift stroke. Get a vacuum pump pull a vacuum on the system to remove any moisture and check for leaks. I usually pull it down to a 30 inHg vacuum and hold it there for thirty minutes to ensure a good seal and that all contaminants are out. Good luck, and be safe!

Studio54

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd like to know also. Mine didn't blow up, but it isn't cold and there is apparent leakage around the compressor under the hood. Gonna just replace all I can when I do, though I may wait until the spring since it is cooling off here.

I thought it was cooling down but its hit 100* and going to hold for a week or so. Makes it rough.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
So about a month ago my AC compressor blew up. But before that it would freeze up after about 40-50 minutes of running. I found out it was because the power wire to the compressor was ALWAYS hot so it never cycled. So i need to fix that first and foremost. But now im looking to replace the compressor and all components i should before i charge the system again.

Compressor
Low Pressure
High Pressure
Cycling switch?
Orifice tube
Condensor

Is there anything else i should replace while its all off and open system? Any input is appreciated.

collector/dryer.(The canister thingy on the firewall)and all o-rings. A new condensor will come with the orifice tube. If you've still got pressure then the hose is still good. If not, u will want to replace it.

Studio54

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All you omitted is a new accumulator/drier and a good flush of the system. Be sure to add the proper amount of oil (PAG 150) back to the system as it will all be lost when you evacuate and flush it. Some compressors come pre-oiled, and some don't, so be sure to double and triple check yours and adjust your oil charge accordingly. If your compressor doesn't come with oil in it, you MUST add some to before installing it, or risk destroying the compressor AND voiding the warranty in one swift stroke. Get a vacuum pump pull a vacuum on the system to remove any moisture and check for leaks. I usually pull it down to a 30 inHg vacuum and hold it there for thirty minutes to ensure a good seal and that all contaminants are out. Good luck, and be safe!
I havent done an AC change with everything, i've done the compressor changing on my g/fs car but not the rest. So if you could, whats the process of flushing it?

Studio54

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, i ordered it all. total came out to $218.90 on Amazon, all AC Delco new. Should be good to go.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For everything? That's way too cheap, the compressor should run that, let alone everything else..

Studio54

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only took a few days

You must be registered for see images attach