AC Delco Plug Wires Will Not Stay On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys what is the trick to getting a set of AC Delco plug wires to stay on the distributor? I bought a set for my 90 GMC Sierra 5.7l a few years ago. I had the same issue. I push and push to get the wires onto the dist but they just will not click on or stay on. I took them back and bought a set of cheapos from Autozone and they worked fine for a few years. Last week I bought another set of AC Delcos. Same exact problem. They will not click/snap onto the dist and they will not stay put. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Are the AC Delcos just not made right? The dist cap is also an AC Delco. Any ideas?

HaKs319

Reaction score
I just installed a new set of wires and cap on my 95 Tahoe, both AC Delco Professional line. Fit was super tight so don't be afraid to push down on them until you hear that click.

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok thanks. Maybe I'm just not pushing down hard enough. But I swear I'm going to break something. I think I'll stick with the Autozone wires next time. Thanks for the reply.

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
Dielectric grease in the boots will make them easier to get on. I only use AC Delco ignition parts, the quality is far superior to any parts house brand. IMO. They fit very tight but once they click they are there for good!

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Delphi/AC Delco/high end NAPA here; these trucks are finicky with aftermarket components some times.

I helped a friend do a tune up on his '87 Chevy, and the ACD wires put up a little fight; but did finally click down after some adjustments with the wire.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You didn't accidentally get a set of wires for a Vortec did you? The ends that go on the cap have much smaller terminals inside. No way they will click in and stay in the old style TBI cap.

Richard

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The correct distributor cap from ACDelco is P/N D303A. This is HEI low tower design. The ACDelco wire set P/N 9618 is the professional series that are second design using new technology with low resistance wire wound core on a fiberglass reinforced latex center. The wire is actually wound tightly around the core and measures at 1k per foot. Using dielectric grease as posted is best practices and will facilitate the installation of the wire and protect it from moisture and carbon tracking. This wire design has a symbol inked on the wire and allows higher voltages while keeping radio noise interference very low. In this case, newer is better. Retired ASE Master.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You didn't accidentally get a set of wires for a Vortec did you? The ends that go on the cap have much smaller terminals inside. No way they will click in and stay in the old style TBI cap.

Richard

Sorry I have been out of town. I ordered them from Rock Auto and they stated right on the ordering page they are for my 90 GMC 5.7l. It's possible they screwed up but it would be the first time they ever did. This is the second set of AC Delcos in the past 15 years that I've had problems with staying on the dist caps or the spark plugs.

Last edited:

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to work on the truck tomorrow. I live in an apt complex and we are not allowed to work on our vehicles here. But the office is closed tomorrow :) If I can't get them to stay on I will just buy the Autozone brand. My last set from AZ lasted me over 70K miles and the truck ran great. Not going to keep fighting with the AC Delco's if they won't stay on.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry I have been out of town. I ordered them from Rock Auto and they stated right on the ordering page they are for my 90 GMC 5.7l. It's possible they screwed up but it would be the first time they ever did. This is the second set of AC Delcos in the past 15 years that I've had problems with staying on the dist caps or the spark plugs.
Just look at the ends on your old ones vs. your new ones. The size difference in the metal part inside one end will be obviously smaller if they sent Vortec wires.

Richard