99 Tahoe teardown and rebuild begins today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris979

Reaction score
Ok so when it froze here I'm Texas it cracked my block in my original engine 320k mile Tahoe.

I picked up a well maintained 99 that
was hit in the front
right but mechanically sound.

Since I'm swapping in the engine and transmission I figured it was time to refresh them while out an easier to access.

I've been ordering parts over the last 10 days still have a bit to go...I'm cam/lifter shopping right now.

I have the following parts all new or nearly new. Cold air kit with box. 8 mm wires. 'performance' coil. New cap,
rotor and plugs, new timing chain, a brand new entire engine gasket set.New water pump and alternater as we as a new hypertech maxx force programmer. I got the Transmission a filter kit and maybe down the road I'll rebuild it. Oh yeah I also havea stainless Allen head bolt kit for the engine.
I'm also swapping on the rear doors. The driver side fender and door. And the interior carpet as well a the front seats and all the door panels. Ok I think I've said enough for one post .
attachFull233781 attachThumb233781 attachFull233782 .
I'm also swapping on the rear doors. The driver side fender and door. And the interior carpet as well a the front seats and all the door panels. Ok I think I've said enough for one post .

The day I bought it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Yesterday when I towed it home from work

The donor is on the left. The keeper on the right.

Last edited:

Chris979

Reaction score
I like me a 4 door 2wd Tahoe lol. I have one as well. They are hard to find where I am. Looking forward to the build....
Well stay tuned. Because I'm going to knock out the majority of it this week. I'm still looking for a lowering kit and a decent cam/lifters and I'm missing a few odds and ends but it will get done.

Chris979

Reaction score
Well I got all the stuff off the cracked engine today. I can see several cracks from the block and into the heads. It seperated the passenger side head from the deck. But most were just like the picture I'm posting of the passenger side head. Pretty obvious.

RIP. Almost made it to 350k on an untouched original motor.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
You mentioned replacing just the cap and rotor. Might I suggest using the Duralast Gold distributor from AutoZone? It's a metal bodied distributor, unlike the factory plastic one. And it has a lifetime warranty. All for like $110. And since you have to pull the factory one to do intake manifold gaskets, it would be a good time to replace it.