99 K3500HD Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99K3500HDCCLB

Reaction score
Well the gods were smiling on my wife and I. We recently sold our extra car and I have been missing a 4x4. I have been wrenching on my neighbors 85 Ford F150, then he sold it got a 88 Heavy Ford 3/4 ton extended cab 4x4 and then of all things traded it for a jeep XJ which I do not work on.

My wife was wanting a 4x4 again as well as last year we were stranded in our apartment during an ice storm (almost 10 days). With the El Nino for this year being a record setter we didn't want to have that again. Food starvation is a bad way to go..

Anyhow with a budget of 1800.00 I knew it a fix up situation. We settled on another blazer. well car sold finally wnet to call to buy Blazer and it was traded for a motorcycle.

So back to the drawing board. WE decided to tweak our search adding extended cab or wow maybe a crew cab 4x4. So punch in a search and viola a crew cab comes up for 1200.00. I thought it was a misprint and it was on there for a really long time it was sold. I sent an email and minutes later "Yeah I still have it" I was told it was rough in the interior and the exterior was clean other than some paint peeling. Chevy had a heel of a problem with white paint peel. I was also told that there is a transmission problem. "AHA her is why the low price. He was driving it at about 60 and bang the transmission started rattling making this horrible noise. He found the next day he couldn't go above 25 or the rattle would start. I told him I still wanted to come look at it. He agreed and the following week we went and saw it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Showed up and saw it. Wasn't sure it was the right truck but it was the only 22ft pickup on the street that was white. First glance thing is sharp. It has wear and tear on it 212,000 tow pig miles on it. I did a Carfax on it before seeing it showed it was driven as a tow vehicle with regular engine and transmission maintenance like clock work. IT also is set up for a 5th wheel as well.

I talk to the owner and he just got it back from the shop. It seems a an adjustable secure strap wrapped around the drive line and caused the banging of the transmission. The transmission is fine except for a hard shift from 1st to second. I test drive it and well expect him to raise the price back up to his original price. BUT HE DIDNT. I even offered him 1000.00 and he took it. So We now own a 1999 K3500 CCLB its even an HD. Last year of the Vortec 7.4L and its a 4L80E.

Things wrong:

power steering pump
seats are split on the sides driver and passenger side
hood release broken
A/C pump needs to be replaced a bypass kit was installed.
no 2nd battery
interior needed cleaned
Few lights to be replaced as well.
Paint needs touching up for rust concerns
Some light rust on roof
power door locks only work with key fob
back power windows do not work but front do
Heater core leaks (bypassed)

So Ill update this as I go.

99K3500HDCCLB

Reaction score
Things planned for it:

New stereo with back up camera (wife hates massive blind spot)
Window switch repair or replace.
Power Door lock Master Control.
New floor mats
Heater replacement
power steering pump replacement
Hood release
2nd battery blue top optima.
off road lights and fog lights ( wife has a bit of night blindness)
emergency lighting ( search and rescue /vehicle recovery expert)
bed mat
storage boxes
new door speakers
new rear speakers ugh 4x6's
subs and custom box
oh yes and heater.
torsion bar lift.
body lift.
36" tires.

It came with brand new Toyo 285/75/16s on it that rub a lot.

99K3500HDCCLB

Reaction score
heater core replaced and now power steering pump. Power steering pump was a nasty try and find. This particular power steering pump on the truck has a sensor on it for the vaccuassist brakes. None of the other pumps had it. I had to special order it from Napa through oreillys Mats ordered and switch for rear window and power window lock out switch.