98 vortec 5.7 distributor discrepancy p1345 new gm crate motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MonteMan

Reaction score
Hello gmt400 community! I do a lot of reading not a lot of posting. Have one for you guys today that I cannot find the answers to.

My actual question first, there is a longer story behind all of this.
Replacing the distributor with this from my local advance auto parts. The hold down clamp was different then the one that was on the original. The new one has two ears that fit around the flat hold down sections on the distributor shaft. The one that came off the truck was a bit more open and completely round.

My question is the new hold down clamp does not allow any adjustment in the cap to adjust to get the cam retard +/- 2. If my research is correct the v6 and v8 had the same cardone dist just the correct cap on it and the v6 models have the un adjustable hold down clamp because their cam retard value have greater tolerances of +/- 20. Is this correct?

My long store short it came time to rebuild/replace my motor so I opted for a good deal on one thru jegs for the direct replacement. My mechanic (chevy dealer tech on personal time) replaced the motor. After replacement we get the p1345 code, I opt to install a new dist anyways because its cheaper to get it as a package with my discount than just cap and rotor. Still the p1345 code. cam retard at 0 degrees with engine warm above 1000rpms on a tech 2. He said he can get the code to clear but every time he goes to do the relearn it pops back up. My mechanic checks next day at work and tells me there's a GM service bulletin on that code for gm replacement motors and that the camshaft might need replaced. The bulletin ID is pip3858a.

Where I'm at currently is the reason I'm posting here to double check. I took the truck to the dealership to check on doing the warranty work on that bulletin. They were trying to check out and fix that error code and the service manger wanted to be sure it wasn't the distributor so he had his tech remove and reinstall. Well always as my luck goes they now I guess cannot get the cam retard set correctly. They are saying that it is the completely wrong part and not for that engine. So I took the old one back and got another in hopes the Chinese guy put it in the wrong box and verified that indeed I did have the proper part to begin with.

Where I do agree with them is that the hold down clamp with the ears from the new aftermarket dist does not allow for any adjustment in the cap. I brought my original rounded clamp to them and said try this, but they insisted that it wasn't the proper part for that motor. They ordered a delco for like almost $400 after tax and said they are going to visually verify on the hold down tabs, also going to install the delco to see if it clears the p1345 code. That way if it does not then they can proceed with the service bulletin repair. If it does then they want me to foot the 400 for dist and the $120 for the original service diagnostic, which I wont be charged for that if they do the bulletin repair.

Sorry for the super long thread, I'm just frustrated to my wits end. The amount of money I have in this thing I could be in something a lot nicer and newer, but I love my 98 obs pickup.