98 GMC K2500 454 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hunttman01

resident sh't starter
Reaction score
Installed my GM HD ignition box. Idle is sooo much smoother now.

You must be registered for see images
[/URL][/IMG]

Was going to try and install a flowmaster 40 I picked up for cheap but its too dang windy to weld right now.
What was your idle doing before?

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
really nice truck and love the direction your going in with it... for sure starting to follow this thread!

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Ok updates finally.

Got the tie-rods and the Kendas installed. Road noise is about what I expected, but nothing too terrible, wear seems to be doing good too.

You must be registered for see images attach

And a few days later came out to find this. Kinda hard to tell from the pic but the top of the tire is tilted wayyyyyy in. Ended up being a loose cam bolt that was letting the upper a-arm move around as it please. Thank you Mr. Alignment technician......

After getting that all squared away, I bought a headache rack off my buddy for $20 bucks, lights included. Painted it up, and installed it along with my old 4' Firesticks and some Harbor Freight offroad lights. Still on the fence about the lights.

I also bought a Flowmaster Delta 40 off another buddy and spent an afternoon welding it in place, wayyyyy to quiet for my taste, barely a decibel above factory. So that will be getting replaced soon, hopefully with a 10 series.

And some random pics

And just ordered a set of these.

Will also be picking up a new AC Delco coil and platinum plugs. Along with cleaning & re-oiling my K&N. Tossing around the idea of building my own custom CAI. Once I get all that and the exhaust squared away, it's time for a TUNE!

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Ok mass update time.

The plugs, wires, and coil are all installed, went quite smoothly and running good so far. Still has a touch of rough idle that I'm trying to track down.

It's latest trick is being very sluggish from takeoff, almost like the computer isn't jiving with what the TPS is telling it. And the steering is being a bit wonky as well. Almost no play when turning right, but a good 1/8 to 1/4 turn of play to the left. Hoping it's something cheap and not a whole new steering box. So I ordered a new TPS, CTS, 2 pre-cat 02's, and a new rag joint to try and fix all of that.

Parts pile!

Also finally broke down and bought a smart phone, one of the first apps I bought was Torque, and ordered the necessary Bluetooth adapter to play around with that :)

I had previously mentioned about trying to build my own CAI, well I got bored one day so I did!

I used the standard replacement K&N I was already running, and a piece of PVC (plastidipped black), and some clamps and bands from a junk Ebay CAI I had bought for a different truck.

The box is also from that junk CAI, but isn't permanent, I plan on building my own fully enclosed and insulated one later down the road out of sheet metal.

In a previous thread I had mentioned about trying to find a 2" hitch adapter that would bolt on my DMI hitch drawbar. Well after no luck, I decided to build my own, a 3' piece of 3/16" x 3" plate and an old bumper hitch I had laying around, and a few hours of cutting and welding, vooilla!!!

It looks all dirty I know, but it's been put to plenty of good use, hauled a skidsteer on my buddies 14' flatbed, and a car on another buddies 18' equipment trailer with no problems. I am one happy camper.

Speaking of that car, here's what $300 bought me, 94 monte carlo with a blown trans that we had one hell of a night tearing the sh** out of!!

Scrapped it, and then picked up this for the newest project.

Honda 300ex, cosmetically REALLY needs some work, but runs fantastic, should be quite a fun toy :)

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
UPDATE TIME!

The new TPS and CTS are on, still haven't had time to do the 02's or the Rag Joint yet. Also had to replace the thermostat and the belt tensioner (it would walk a 1/4" side to side when running).

My lovely GF also gave her old phone so I can have one dedicated solely to running Torque while driving, so very handy rather than having to take mine and set it up all the time.

And made a small oopsie a few days ago, went out to start the truck before work one morning to let it warm up and was greeted with a not so nice groaning from the PS pump. It was bone dry.......I've filled it back up with fluid and I'm keeping an eye on it, but it still makes a whining noise, although not as bad, but I'm sure it's on its way out. It's actually quite difficult to find a pump that is compliant with the JD7 Hydroboost brake code, every parts store around here is special order and will take a week to get here.

So in expectation of replacing the pump and all the hoses (which is where all the fluid leaked out), I went to the junkyard today and picked up a power steering cooler. Although probably not needed, it does give me some peace of mind and hey I'll be in there replacing everything anyway, no better time to do it.

Also found this little gem today

And this guy to go along with it

Both of them need a good scrub down but no biggie, I was psyched to finally find a 411 PCM, the main junkyard I go to always pulls all the LS engines and computers together to sell them, so the motor in the truck I pulled this from must have been blown or something. Now to just PM Lextech and get this baby installed :) EFI Live anyone??