98 c1500 cat problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chuck p

Reaction score
My wife bought a 98 gmc 1500 5.7. I currently have 2 issues. I havent had time to do any test for fuel leak down or anything. I have code po430 shows cat or o2 issue. If i temporarily remove and bypass cat will that pose an issue besides emissions? Will there ve any performance issues or danger to engine or will i just get a code? 2nd issue when i go to store if i am in store 10 minutes or less vehicle starts right up if in store longer vehicle starts but i have to give it gas to get engine to run as it acts like its not running but is at like 200 rpm. Any ideas?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a junk spider/regulator took out a cat, or is severely hindering performance of the cat. Check fuel pressure and watch it after you turn the key off. If it tanks you likely need a new spider assembly, it's a bit of a waste to put a new regulator on an old style poppet assembly.