97 Vortec 5.7 Idle/Surging Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NitrousBird

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I am having an idling problem on my 97 K1500 Suburban that I can't figure out. It's a Vortec 5.7. It idles at about 1000 when I'm in park and when I'm driving it will accelerate on it's own and rev higher than it should without applying any throttle. This is getting pretty frustrating when I'm trying to stop and there's snow on the road. Now after I've been driving for a bit and shut it off and wait about 5 minutes or so, when I start it up again it idles properly around 650, until I start driving again and then it will accelerate on it's own again, and idle at 1000 when put in park. So far I've changed the iac, tps, and cleaned maf. I tried starting the truck with the iac unplugged and it revved up way past 2000 and sat there so I shut it off. Then I started it again with the iac plugged in, waited until it dropped to 700 or so, then unplugged it. The rpms stayed there so I went for a drive. During my drive the truck ran mint, it wouldn't accelerate on it's own, the rpms wouldn't stay high when I was off the throttle, it just ran like it's supposed to. Something is telling the iac to open and cause too much air to get in the throttle body but I can't figure out what it is. Anybody have any ideas where I should look next?

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Is there any vacuum leaks? I just had the same problem today and it ended up being a vacuum line was missing from the intake to the heater bypass valve solenoid when I put the engine back together. OOPS!

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
The leak might not be as obvious as mine. I had a bad intake gasket a while back (the one between the two halves) and it would surge badly and try to take off under idle. I had to use the spray seafoam around the intake until I found it.