97 silverado v8 swap wiring headache

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpb524

Reaction score
Hey guys, i mostly lurk the forums but just recently acquired a 97 silverado through a trade for my fourwheeler. It has been swapped from a 4.3 to 5.7 by the owner before the people I got it from. Who i got it from was clueless about the questions I had.

I think they used the v8 engine harness to do the swap, and I think its from a different year. There's a couple spliced wires in different areas, and although everything seems to work as designed, Id like to make sure everything is correct and or fix it.

First order of business. The P101(?) plug on passenger side under dash. It has the correct plug spliced on, but not all the wires hooked up.

You must be registered for see images attach

The pink ignition wire is not hooked to anything and no wire in the engine harness to be hooked too. I need to know where that runs to.

Also, one of the black/white wires, which is i think transmission signal bit 1 (?), should be hooked up to the plug but instead is spliced and run back out the grommet to the driver side down low on the frame which i think is a plug going to the harness for rear of truck. Trying to figure out why it is like this and not connected at plug

Last, the purple wire that is a part of the p101 plug, which is 4.3 specific only, also runs to the same plug as the black/white one above. This is why I think the harness in now is from the V8, as it doesnt have this 4.3 specific wire. I know its for fuel gauge signal but wanted to make sure its going to the correct place.

The plug that the purple and black/white are going to has 2 wires extra itself that has nothing hooked to them as you can see in the pics

If anyone maybe has the pinout for this plug it would prob help, as i cant find it.

IDK why the people who did the swap didnt just leave in the v6 harness. What a headache.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I'm no wiring whiz. Hate doing electronical stuff! I really can't help on the specifics.
But with the little that I do know, my advice would be...
First things first!
Get rid of all those stupid marettes! That's house stuff. Those things have no place in a vehicle! They could be the a big part of the problem with the wiring!
Solder & shrink wrap all those splices that the previous owner Mickey Moused!
That looks like a freakin' nightmare! Good way to burn the whole truck down! It's amazing that the truck even runs with those connections the way they are now.
Some people should know when to leave things well enough alone!
I know that you didn't do that, and it's certainly no reflection of your abilities!
But Jeez! You've got a job to get that straightened up! Wow!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Another thought.
I know for a fact that the tach for a V6 will not work with the V8.
You either have to swap the gauge pod for one from a V8 truck, or, you have to swap the stepper motor in the gauge pod for one that's for a V8