97 NV3500 to LS Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ooboo

Reaction score
Been doing some looking at replacing the tired 305 in my truck, and before I just throw a 350 in it, I have a few questions about an LS swap. I have the necessary mechanical skills, as I am a tech for John Deere. Anyways, I can only seem to find info on mating an LS to an automatic. So my questions are:
- Is the bellhousing a bolt-up fit?
- Which flywheel will I need?
- How will the stock clutch/ NV3500 hold up to a 5.3?
- Will I need a different pilot bushing/ throwout bearing?
- Any wiring alterations needed?
Thanks!

reno124

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 5.3 was offered with a nv3500 behind it in gmt800 platform trucks so clutch and all that stuff is available but if I was gonna do anything id try an see about a nv4500 behind that ls motor !!

Ooboo

Reaction score
Well, after searching through the bowels of the internet, I've answered some of my questions. It seems that the 4.8 was available in front of an NV3500. With a 4.8 flywheel and clutch, it should be a bolt up fit. Now with DD sliding engine mounts, the transmission should stay put and the engine will slide back to make up for the few inches shorter it is over a SB. I've seen an 8.1 hooked to an NV3500 for two years on another forum that was holding up fine, so I'm not terribly concerned about it either. Now a few questions about the engine swap itself.
- What was the last year for DBC engines? I'd like to stay with it since my truck is already set up for it.
- Will the tach, CEL, and other dash displays be a plug in hookup? I'm not at all afraid of wiring, this is just out of curiosity and was information I couldn't locate anywhere.
- Will I have to run electric fans with this swap? And does that entail a new rad and rad support?