97 dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
can someone please tell me or show me how to take out the dash on my 97. i am going to smooth and paint it but i don't now where to begin. i have never messed with the dash it self just the bezel and other parts that are easy to take off.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
i havnt completely taken one out. my moms suburban is a 98 and there are screws by the defroster vent and a few on the bottom of the whole console. a helpful pic too is to go on www.lmctruck.com and look at the diagram for parts for your dash it shows a break down of the whole dash assembly so you can get an idea

Chad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks but i couldn't find anything on mine, i guess ill just start ripping stuff out until i get it out lol

Chad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks think im going to start this weekend and just ride around with it out for a while

Reaction score
Ok, remove all the obvious outter stuff that you can.. Everything. Except the screws at the defrost near the windsheild. Then inside the dash from outside view, unsnap or squeeze an push any and all plug connections from the dash.. outside is ready.. Go behind/under the dash, unplug your cigarette lighter plug(s), floor lights, and you may have to reach up along the edge of dash to squeeze and push out the door adjar/cab light push button things..lol..Then unplug them and push the wire back thru the hole... Then there are about 3 screws that hold different electrical boxes to the dashes main brace (steel round bar about 2" in diam.) Behind the glove box there is a few bolts that hold the metal dash brace to the cab behind the airbag/pocket area above and behind the glove box.. Now unbolt the brace that is under the steering column, should be four bolts, the round bar that is in that area should come out free now.. Now unbolt the steering column from its cradle.. Their should be enough play in the column to pull it down about 8-10 inches.. you will need this. Now remove the bolts that are under the very bottom of the dash against the kick panel area. then remove the defrost vent screws ontop the dash.. Your dash should lean forwards now with a slight tug. DO NOT TRY TO PULL IT OUT YET... Look behind the dash at the passenger side and there are a few wire holders for stuff like glove box light, door adjar switch and other accessory things.. i belive in most there may be a lil box screwed on too, all this is on the outter most edge of the back of dash.. Now the drivers side, make sure all wires are loose from the dash.. you will have to look over the top of the dash and pull the main dash wire harness loose from the dash, some of the push in plastic holders can be squeezed from inside the gauge cluster area and the stereo area.. Ok.. your dash Should be free.. You are best off to recruit a friend to help you remove it now. Let them hold the passenger side for you, you will have to have the gear selector all the way down and push down on the column a lil, lean it forwards and lift it over the steering wheel. Its out now :) the A.C. duct should still be attached to it, it can be unscrewed if need be. But i advise you re attach it befor reinstalling the dash or it WILL kick your ***.. I know this is a VERY VERY long post, but ive removed my dash 10 times already and have it down to a process already :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bturner333