97 Chevy tach not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Delmo

Reaction score
Hello everyone looking for a little help. Have 97 Chevy k1500 5.7l with 157,*** miles. The rpm gage is not working. The signal wire from coil (center white) was cut in half by someone in the past. When I try to hook it up. The truck dies immediately. I ckd voltage on the side coming out of coil and I’m reading 13.5. This will decrease when accelerator is increased to 13.2 volts. I replaced the plug it was in pretty bad shape. Also went ahead and replaced coil. Same results. Truck runs good as long as you don’t try hook the wire up. Thanks in advance for any help.
You must be registered for see images attach

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check this thread out.

Delmo

Reaction score
Check this thread out.
Thanks for the reply, I don’t know if I can go off that post it looks like that coil is on a 95 and earlier. What was interesting in the post if not grounded you can read higher volts. I went ahead pulled the cluster to see if there was any arcing or damage. Found the signal wire on the connector that goes into cluster and it looks ok. Would like to know if anyone has checked voltage on a 97 tach signal wire and what they are showing for voltage. I’m beginning to think this is a ground wire issue.