97 3500 dually engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Funny how the taller and wider trailers are like a parchute isn't it? Had a buddy break down on a river trip a few years ago. 4.0L had blown its head gasket and as we later found out had a near 2-piece head option. I pulled this back from New Braunfels. I had 4 people including myself, he had 3 total. The 7 of us rode back in the van. Threw all the camping gear, coolers and the like in the Jeep. The 350/4L85E and 3.73s handled the load in overdrive on I-35. Don't ask how fast I was running, I was badly sun burned and ready to be home. Trailer tracked right behind the van, no swaying, no dipping, van ran down the road like it was not even there.

You must be registered for see images attach

Low profile loads are so much easier to pull, even if they are heavy. Many people never realize just how much it sucks to pull even a medium size camper - It isn't bad if you do it on one of the 3 days each year that the wind isn't blowing...

On your rearend switch back to the 3.73 - Why switch back? With the 5.13's you had 4 gears to work with while ending up at a similar rpm as pulling in 3rd with the 3.73. Did you do it just for the better unloaded mpg?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Low profile loads are so much easier to pull, even if they are heavy. Many people never realize just how much it sucks to pull even a medium size camper - It isn't bad if you do it on one of the 3 days each year that the wind isn't blowing...

On your rearend switch back to the 3.73 - Why switch back? With the 5.13's you had 4 gears to work with while ending up at a similar rpm as pulling in 3rd with the 3.73. Did you do it just for the better unloaded mpg?
I did it because the 5.13s were in a 9.5 14-bolt and the 3.73s are in a 10.5 14-bolt. I swapped the rear when I swapped the van to 8 lug from 5.