Engine swap from a 97 to a 98

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Okay, so I’ve got a question for all you experienced mechanical geniuses out here. I have this 97 k1500 that has a shifter in the floor for the 4WD. Just dropped a brand spanking new engine in it and wrecked the ****** out of it, not too long after that. Can’t seem to find another one out there with a decent enough body to buy and swap the engine over to. However I do seem to see a lot of crisp 98s with the push button 4x4 in them. so I would like to know how tough it would be to swap the engine out of my 97 over to this 98. is there going to be wiring harness problems because the transmission is controlled by buttons instead of a shifter? Or will it be relatively easy? Any advice would be helpful.

Reaction score
I am going off memory on this so don't hold me to it, but if I am understanding this then the difference you will run into isn't the engine but the transfer case. the electric controller may be deleted if you keep the manual shifter but I can't say off the top of my head that there is a routing issue thru the floor.