96 Vortec kicking my ass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you postivie that the dizzy is clocked right? Have you pulled it out to make sure that the pin that holds the gear hasnt broke?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Scuby

Reaction score
Are you postivie that the dizzy is clocked right? Have you pulled it out to make sure that the pin that holds the gear hasnt broke?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

So it runs. It has a rough-ish idle. Not horrible but just a little too rough. I'm having a hard time figuring it out why.

Anyways to clarify the fix for the origional problem:

I wasn't getting spark, bad wire form the ECU to the ICM. Fixed that. Had spark FROM the coil to the dizzy, as tested with a spark plug on coil wire. Spark was bright blue/white. Good spark.

Even had spark at the cilinders. Although, after cranking and cranking some more, I realized it wasn't very consistent. Again, straight on the wire to ground just fine. Using an inline tester: not so great.

Replaced all the plugs and wires, except the coil wire. Nothing. replaced the coil wire, which gave me spark just fine, and it fired up. Go figure.

To make sure it wasn't poor install on my part I've retested the coil wire several times. It's all in the wire. Makes little sense but it works now.

So I ended up replacing the coil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ICM and more. Reclocked timing again and again. There was more than one issue but in the end it came down to the coil wire.