96 Tahoe transmision

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
good post^ im one of the lucky ones with a blown 95 lol it sucks
My '95 Caprice has 157K on it's 4L60E, and it's only a matter of time I'd think. The 1-2/2-1 shift is especially firm, but all of them are firmer than I'd like. I guess it's just the valve body being fairly worn out at that mileage. I'll just drive it until it goes out, then either rebuild it or sell/part/scrap the car, depending.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It will bolt in, but that is all.

It will *only* bolt in, that is all.

It will, by design, bolt right in, but will not physically work.

It will only bolt up to the engine/frame, but will never move you anywhere, because the car is not designed to work with that specific transmission.

It will only physically bolt up to the engine/frame, but will never move you anywhere, because the car IS NOT DESIGNED TO WORK WITH THAT SPECIFIC TRANSMISSION.

You will need a 4L60E transmission from a 1996-1998 GM vehicle in order to move anywhere. NO EXCEPTIONS.

MMKAY?

You must be registered for see images attach

A 1988-1992 Transmission will ONLY WORK IN A PRE-1993 vehicle. A 1993-4 transmission WILL ONLY WORK IN A 1993-4 vehicle. A 1995 transmission will ONLY WORK IN A 1995 vehicle. A 1996-1998 transmission WILL ONLY WORK IN A 1996-1998 vehicle.

Not to come off as a dick (which this post totally accomplishes) but since you seem so hell bent on making a 700R4 work in your Tahoe, go on ahead and try, make a writeup. By the time you're done, you'll have realized that $1,000 you just blew trying various things out to make it work would have paid to rebuild the one in there already.

1ugly88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1993GMCSierra Not to come off as a dick (which this post totally accomplishes) but since you seem so hell bent on making a 700R4 work in your Tahoe said:
i was only asking for reference purposes. i don't think the original op is really bent on doing it.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually....It would work fine. I wouldn't recommend it. For the simple fact it would ruin the value of the truck. But a 700 would bolt up. It would move lol. I have a hard time understanding your reasoning why it wouldn't? The only electronics the 700R4 has is for TCC lockup. They make several different options to bypass this, from a simple toggle switch, a relay, or a hydraulic kit. All under $100.00. The only issue would be the TV cable. You have 2 options there. Either buy the bracket that hooks to the throttle body, or buy the (no throttle cable) valve body from TCI. Either way, I have done it, it works, it is an option.