96 Tahoe AC issue/need to know what to replace and what can be upgraded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skyhighsami

Reaction score
My wife has a 96 Tahoe that recently the clutch stopped engaging on the compressor. You can manually tap it to engage it but it won't last. My question is, I want to know what to replace, what can be upgraded, and what are worthwhile upgrades to do with the front end apart. Like taking off the clutch fan and installing an electric fan. Since the truck doesn't have rear AC I want to make any and all improvements. Thank you

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Eh? Why not just fix the clutch? It *might* come back to life with a very minor adjustment of the air gap, but if it's worn/grooved too much it will be a very temporary fix. You can replace the clutch without having to bother with the compressor or evacuating the system. Proper air gap is critical - between .020-.030"

Richard

LordFinesse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not sure what kind of compressor you have on yours, i redid my AC system a while back (its in my build thread) and it was pretty cheap, the compressor was like 180 or so my clutch went out and it was a better deal to buy the whole damn compressor with the clutch all in one. i replaced that, the accumulator and the orifice tube. Just before you start, go to a radiator or AC shop, have em pull the freeon out, do the work yourself, then go back and have em pressure test it all. It was easy and it blows super cold still.

skyhighsami

Reaction score
I was told that there was a Ford orifice tube that was some sort of upgrade. I didn't know if I could get a compressor for a different vehicle that uses the Vortec 5.7 that would work better. Since the truck doesn't have rear AC I am looking for anything possible to improve the cooling.

skyhighsami

Reaction score
Is there a compressor that will work with the L31 and a Gen III or Gen IV if I end up going LS. I would hate to spend the money replacing my AC parts and possibly having to change parts again