96' 454 Weird Nocking Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burbpower

Reaction score
Heys Guys got a weird noise that ive been trying to figure out pretty sure its a rod knock or piston slap but I wanted to see if anyone else could give me their opinion. I do all Performance Diesels and Suspension so I dont know anything about building a motor.

Anyway so about 3 months ago I was driving and I decided to off the line race my friend (same day i put a ton of lucas injector cleaner in)

everything was good no problems. Then when i get home it started making knocking noise but higher pitch. Been to lazy to do anything about it so still drove it. I would drive a week without hearing it then a few weeks later would hear it again. Switched to a heaver oil sound came less often. Now i here is sometimes for a week strait then not at all for another week. Most days i will hear it randomly at a light then floor it and it goes away.

HERES THE THING. It dosnt always happen. And I still go hard on my motor and it has NO Problems what so ever. Sound good when its not idleing. Revs up to 5K and Shifts no problems no weird noises. Pull my boat over the mountains to Santa Cruz Easy. If im at a light idleing when it decided to start making the noise its some time really faint like a diesel tick then some lights its loud as ####! give it some gas to 700rpm goes away.

Im planning on doing a full build on my motor in the next few month but im hopeing its something easy fix now that way i can wait longer and build up my motor more.