96 4.3 intermittent high idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tssievert

Reaction score
Will idle fine sometimes then other times it won't drop below 2k,shut it off then start it back up still at 2k, let it sit for an hour and it will run fine. High idle would come down to normal when I pulled the tps, so I replaced it. Still happens. Checked for vacuum leaks, found none. Cleaned IAC and throttle body, still happens.
Today I drove it to work this morning and had the high idle, then at lunch I warmed it up, pulled the IAC connector, and have been driving around with it unhooked, no high idle. What can cause 2k idle that I haven't already addressed? It has to be controls related since it runs fine after unhooking the IAC. The only code that pops up is a PO146, bank 1 O2 sensor 3, I didn't think that would cause a problem with the idle, the code has been there for 2 years but the idle problem jus showed up a month ago.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your IAC could get stuck when adjusting. It makes a lot of fine adjustments, so if it gets stuck at a certain point, it could cause the high idle. Try replacing it.