95 TBI 5.7L just randomly dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my 95 TBI 5.7L that cropped up last weekend while I was half an hour from home. The engine just randomly dies... no backfires, no stumbling, it just quits like it lost both fuel and spark. A few times it would pick right back up on its own like nothing happened, other times I would have to shift to neutral and start it back up. It would always come right back to life, every time. It seems to happen most often when I slow down approaching a turn or stop sign, which really sucks cause I lose power steering.

I replaced the ignition control module with an OEM AC Delco part. The one I removed was surely the original with almost 250k miles. It had no paste left on the heatsink when it pulled it. Unfortunately, that wasn't the issue.

I kinda suspect my ignition switch, since I've been having power loss to my AC controller and blower motor. They would just randomly quit at times just like the engine is now doing. The blower motor hasn't quit once since this started happening though.

Finally, ignition coil? I replaced it about a year ago, but it was a BWD brand from O'Reilly which has rusted to hell already.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
I'm stuck, how do I get the top cover off of the steering column??

Edit - I got it

Last edited:

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Got the ignition switch replaced, drove it for an hour. Seems to be fixed!

Sent from my Nintendo 64