95 Power locks don't unlock all doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Godholio

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 95 Suburban's got me stumped. Whether I use the keyless entry or the power lock buttons inside the truck, the result is the same. Hitting "LOCK" locks all doors. Hitting "UNLOCK" (twice on the keyless entry) only unlocks the driver's door...not the passenger or rears.

I bought the truck in the spring and over the summer I didn't really drive it, I was just fixing the little things previous owners ignore on an old truck (broken door latches, trim pieces, JB Welded radiator, etc). But I noticed this problem sometimes. Sometimes the locks worked fine. For a while I thought it was tied to low battery voltage, but now it happens even at 12.7v, so I don't think so. I haven't ripped all the doors apart yet, only two: the rear barn door latch at the top wasn't working (previous owner used a small screwdriver to release it when needed) because the mechanism at the bottom was broken so the rod wasn't moving properly, and the rear passenger door because...well it was jacked up inside. The lock release rod was bent, which broke the plastic tab on the interior handle, and the lock actuator was bound up because the rod was bent. When I was reassembling everything, the power locks ran the actuator just fine. After it was all buttoned up, the truck sat for a couple of weeks and now the intermittent problem seems constant.

The owner's manual doesn't describe any feature or setting that explains it, like a child lock feature. I've replaced the keyfob battery, but a dying battery wouldn't explain why the buttons inside have the same result. If the relay were bad, it seems like all Lock or all Unlock functions (or both) would not work. But the driver's door locks and unlocks fine.

From looking at the wiring diagram from the service manuals, it doesn't look like there's another common point of failure except maybe a bad connection between the relay and wherever that Tan 294 (hot for unlock) line splits to all the lock motors (splice S280). Or maybe the equivalent splice (S282) for Gray 295 (GND for unlock).

Does anyone have any better ideas before I start digging in and tracing wires to find these splices to see if one of them is the problem? Or ripping the passenger door panel off to test connections there. That's probably the place to start, but I'm not in the mood for that so I'm hoping there's a better idea out there.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The reason the driver unlock works fine is because it's not on the same relay as the passenger doors unlock. Driver door unlock is powered by a relay built into the keyless entry module, whereas the passengers unlock relay is in the separate module. It does sound like the unlock relay in that relay module is quitting. The lock relay is separate from the two unlock relays as well, but in the same module as the passenger door unlock relay.

Godholio

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason the driver unlock works fine is because it's not on the same relay as the passenger doors unlock. Driver door unlock is powered by a relay built into the keyless entry module, whereas the passengers unlock relay is in the separate module. It does sound like the unlock relay in that relay module is quitting. The lock relay is separate from the two unlock relays as well, but in the same module as the passenger door unlock relay.

Interesting. I don't see that on the power door lock wiring diagram, but it looks that way on the keyless entry diagram. Using the vague description from the manual "under I/P, RH side of brake pedal bracket" I find a six-wire connector. The image below is stolen from a 10 year old thread, but I don't want to contort under the dash again to get a picture (I also couldn't figure out how to get it to release so I could remove it). Tracking down a part number I find 19119238, but that looks like the pristine image taken from AC Delco's website. Are these the same thing, or am I looking at the wrong part?
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
That is the correct part, and that's where it should be, above the accelerator. And yeah the power lock vs keyless entry diagrams are different because the ones without keyless are wired completely different lol.