95 nv3500 to a 96 vortec help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MGD_GMT

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I've been googling religiously for an answer but no luck. I could be searching it all wrong and I came across similar problems but not exact to my situation. My DD is a 95 extended cab c1500 2wd 305 with 270k and nv3500 manual transmission with external slave. I bought a 96 extended cab c1500 2wd with a 350 vortec with automatic transmission (4l60e I belive), for 600$ it's a complete truck from head to toe. Only thing missing is the title, the reason why I got it cheap. Auto trans is "kinda" shot and the engine may have a head gasket leak but still runs great.

I want to fix up the engine and swap it into my 95 but I'm having trouble finding solutions. The nv3500 is completely rebuilt and I just put it back in this past weekend so I only got about 30 miles on it or so, Currently breaking in the clutch.

Since both trucks are complete with parts, how do I get this together? Since the 96 is all automatic stuff? I've seen many suggestions about having a 96+nv3500 due to the internal slave but what about the 95? How do I go about with all the electrical components? I really would like to have the manual transmission for the vortec.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Have you thought about just swapping the vortec heads onto your tbi motor with a tbi intake? That would be a much easier and less time consuming route with pretty much the same result.

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or look into a title bond and then you have 2 trucks :driver:

MGD_GMT

Reaction score
Have you thought about just swapping the vortec heads onto your tbi motor with a tbi intake? That would be a much easier and less time consuming route with pretty much the same result.

Swapping 350 cu in (5.7L) vortec heads onto a smaller 305 cu in (5.0L) Is a no no.
Unless someone can show me otherwise. If it was a 350tbi, that'll be a different story.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Swapping 350 cu in (5.7L) vortec heads onto a smaller 305 cu in (5.0L) Is a no no.
Unless someone can show me otherwise. If it was a 350tbi, that'll be a different story.
Ooohhhh. My bad i thought you said 350. You should be able to just swap the motors over with no wiring to worry about if you swap to a tbi intake and keep the stock tbi

MGD_GMT

Reaction score
Or look into a title bond and then you have 2 trucks :driver:

Not going through the hassle. Plus the previous owners was a painter or whatever and the interior is destroyed with paint splatter all over.

My goal was to break it down to a complete rolling chassi with engine and everything still on, sell everything else that I don't need and scrapping the rest when not sold after a certain time. My 95 has a slight left rear subframe bent and it makes the truck look like it's saggy or blown shock. So further into the future, I'll be swapping subframe. Main reason why I bought the truck. The vortec was just an added bonus. I have all brand new parts sitting at my house just waiting.
Master polyurethane kit for everything that has a bushing.
New ball joints, rods, bearings, everything for the steering, mounts, disks and pads/shoes. Master cylinders, etc. Etc.

Few things I haven't gotten yet due to being indecisive on how low I want to drop it. I'm not slamming it, just a nice good looking drop so when I get a good decision, I can order my shocks and everything else to accommodate for it.

But all this is another story. Just want to know how to hook up a OBD1 manual trans to a OBD2 setup.

MGD_GMT

Reaction score
Ooohhhh. My bad i thought you said 350. You should be able to just swap the motors over with no wiring to worry about if you swap to a tbi intake and keep the stock tbi

Stock 305 tbi can accommodate the extra fuel ratio for the 350 vortec? I've seen many mixed reviews about wiring needed/not needed.