94 Suburban K2500 TPS issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently got a 94 K2500 Suburban with a big block that had been sitting for a while. Changed plugs, wires, cap, and rotor and it's still got a rough idle, rough acceleration and hard shifts into drive/reverse as well as high idle (about 1100-1200). After doing some research I figured I'd change the tps and see if that fixed the problem. I had to open the throttle to get the new tps on. Now, the check engine light is on and when it shifted into 2nd it slammed pretty hard. Is there a trick to getting it on? All the YouTube videos I watched said nothing about adjusting the tps it was pretty much plug and play. Everything I've read says to adjust it, but I have no clue how to even try that. Any help is appreciated!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The trans slams into gear because the idle speed is too high.

I'd be looking at the IAC. You need to get the idle speed set properly. The IAC should be doing this for you.

The procedure for both the TPS and the IAC will be in the service manual. I'm fairly sure there IS NO TPS adjustment on my TBI, but it's a small-block unit, and an earlier year.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IAC is my next move. Got the tps in and working right Thanks for the help!