94 5.7L TBI stumbling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck started stumbling (loss of power and vibration) today when I was driving, low speed is fine, around 60-80 km/hr it stumbles, I stopped and popped the hood, fluids all look good, but I could hear a ticking noise coming from the distributor cap, it's a newer cap and rotor, same plugs and wires though, what could be some things I could check or change to try and fix this?

Sent from the Sierra Club

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just for s&g's. .. go where it is pitch black out and pop your hood while it's running but make sure all your lights are off. See if you see any sparks... I'm suggesting this as you say you hear ticking by the distributor. You could have some bad wires that are arcing to ground. If so you can usually see it as I described on how to check for them.

Besides that I would get your ignition module checked out. Must take it of to test it though. When the parts person tests it make sure they test it a few times (so it yeats uo like it was still in the truck) and is lightly tapping on the module as it is being tested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm unsure how old my plugs and wires are, they have 21,000km on them from me and unknown from the guy before me, they didn't look to bad a few months ago when we pulled one, wires could be quite old same with the plugs, I'm gonna try going somewhere dark and see if I can see anything tonight

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been wet for the first time in a long around here last few days, also smell gas coming out of the exhaust but smooth exhaust tone, motor is only shaking a little not jumping around like crazy

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is trying to stall when it's at idle all of the sudden, just stopped at the parts store, and it's surging aswell