93 with 5.7 and 5 speed.... Hard to engage and pops out of 2nd & 4th?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ricerocket1135

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck has just developed a mysterious symptom...

The last time I drove it it seemed fine, but now it is easy to get into 1st, 3rd, and 5th like it should be. However it feels like the stick is up against a "spring" or something when trying to go into 2nd & 4th... possibly Reverse too, but didn't even try it.

I am wondering if a motor mount or trans mount may cause symptoms like this? Anyone have any idea as to what it could be?

Blayne

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Could be synchros. Could also be hitting something with the shifter. A bad mount could cause that. I'm leaning towards the synchros though. If its a T5 then they are complete trash anyways, you would be better off finding an SM465 or T56. I've torched T5s with bone stock Mustangs before. They just can't hold any power.

ricerocket1135

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be synchros. Could also be hitting something with the shifter. A bad mount could cause that. I'm leaning towards the synchros though. If its a T5 then they are complete trash anyways, you would be better off finding an SM465 or T56. I've torched T5s with bone stock Mustangs before. They just can't hold any power.

It isn't the synchros. It felt like it was something in the way of the shifter, but there were no obstructions. I believe I have a NV3500 in the truck. I moved it today and after putting it in 1st and driving maybe 30 feet... everything was back to normal. THEN... 100ft later... I have no 2nd, 4th or Reverse at all... Now when in Neutral it has a faint grind, which I believe is the synchros. I think something came loose in the shifter or the transmission. Either way, I can't drive it until I figure it out.

These trucks are heavy SOB's! Having to push it back up the driveway with my wife driving sucks!

Looks like I will have to pull the shifter to see if there is a problem... if not. Out with the Transmission.

milky9788

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have no 2nd, 4th or Reverse at all...

I had the same problem with my first NV3500 (mated with a 350) except my locked it self in 3rd and grenaded the bellhousing , and shot out the driveshaft...Then the NV3500 in my V6 ECSB lost every gear but 4th...But what I'm trying to get at is from my previous experiences it might be time for a rebuild or a different trans, I ended up finding a good deal on a trans. on CL.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
If those are the cases I would have to believe the main shaft bearing have fouled and it is causing a bind somewhere.

Blue975speed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine does that occasionally but mine just feels like the clutch bleeds down for some reason. It only would do it in the morning, I think I have some air in there some where because it gets soft from time to time.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
The clutch and tranny counteracts each other's manufacturer recommendations in that the hydraulic clutch system recommends against holding the clutch pedal down longer than needed to shift(in short, sit in neutral at red lights)....while the tranny recommends depressing and holding clutch for atleast 9seconds before attempting to shift into reverse. Moving to cable clutch was the best idea ever, fully adjustable pedal height and pedal engagement.

ricerocket1135

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pulled the shifter last night...

A stamped steel piece broke. Unfortunately, it appears that the transmission has to come out and be split open to replace it.

It looks like the piece will have something to do with self-centering of the stick.

I will snap a pic of it when I get a chance.

ricerocket1135

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is what I found...
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is what it should look like on both side... I think... I also believe there should be a plastic clip on the left side like there is on the right.
You must be registered for see images attach