92 Suburban... Transmission issue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shibbershabber

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Truck: 1992 K1500 suburban AT/5.7/4x4 145k mi

Question 1: From all I have read, I likely have the 700r4 and not the 4l60e. How can I tell which I have?

Question 2: the 2-3 shift momentarily revs before 3rd engages. Escpecially noticeable while towing:hmm: But seriously, it only does it during the shift... I went on a trip recently towing a 3000lb trailer. Even driving up steep grades (I5 southbound over the Siskyous) it didnt slip, it held just fine at full throttle doing 35-40mph @ 2k rpms and never revved once. I found that I had a slight leak around the pan, so I topped off the fluid and went on my way.

Once I got home, I did a gasket/filter/fluid change. It still does the rev before engaging 3rd. Im probably paranoid but it seems like it wants to do the same thing in the 1-2 shift, though it is extremely subtle.

The only other issue is that I do not have OD (and btw I wasnt towing in OD) (replaced TPS but OD still isnt really working)

Could this be as simple as a mis-adjusted TV cable? SOmething in the valve body?

Let me know what you think.

You must be registered for see images attach

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My first thought is the 3/4 clutches are worn and the flare when it shifts comes from that. Butttt the no O/d is weird. It's most likely a 700R4, and the band is applied on 2nd and 4th gears. The 3/4 clutches are applied in 3rd and 4th gears. I would add a little throttle pressure on the cable, (make it shorter) and see how it shifts.