92 Suburban possible transmission issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyWoSch Motors

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now, the question is, should I fix the throttle valve cable, or just leave it the way its been. Its working fine now. I've gotten used to manually down shifting it when need be.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
92 Suburban K1500...

...TBI 350ci small block, with 4L60E,

should I fix the throttle valve cable, or just leave it the way its been. Its working fine now. I've gotten used to manually down shifting it when need be.
If you have a trans TV cable, you don't have a 4L60E. You have a 4L60.

You MUST get a properly-functioning TV cable in there, adjusted correctly. You can destroy the trans with a failed or misadjusted cable. The TV cable does everything that the kickdown cable does on a TH350, AND everything that the modulator does on that TH350. No cable = cooked transmission.

AyWoSch Motors

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have a trans TV cable, you don't have a 4L60E. You have a 4L60.

You MUST get a properly-functioning TV cable in there, adjusted correctly. You can destroy the trans with a failed or misadjusted cable. The TV cable does everything that the kickdown cable does on a TH350, AND everything that the modulator does on that TH350. No cable = cooked transmission.
Yeah, I went over the 60/60E thing with someone else on another thread. Being a 92 and with the cable, it's a 4L60.
I was calling it a kick down cable, because I'm used to the older th350 et al.
I've been driving it about a year and half or more now and it's never been hooked up, cable is just sitting ther off to the side. Was that way when I got it. My boss said it was like that when he got it and had it a few years like that.
It appears there would be some sort of peg or pin coming off the bottom of the TBI linkage that's gone. I'll have to find something.

What happens to it without it? Does it hurt itself because it cant down shift? Because I down shift it manually, and dont really beat on it, maybe that's been saving it longer. Has 301k miles on that trans, and driving around today after I fixed it, it still sounds fine.

AyWoSch Motors

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The trans line pressure won't increase to match heavier engine load.

Not enough pressure on the clutch packs and band servos. Clutches and bands burn up from slipping.

And of course, the trans shift points are also affected.
Ah, okay. That makes sense. I'll see what I can do to get that fixed asap

That might explain why when I'm on it a little harder, when it shifts from 1st to 2nd, and again from 2nd to 3rd, it seems to go into neutral for a second rev high, then shift.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're very lucky the transmission still pulls. Mine had a hard, delayed shift from 1-2 due to the accumulator hanging up. I tried adjusting the TV cable because I thought it was the problem, and I burned up my transmission in a matter of a few miles. Fix it before you drive it again.

AyWoSch Motors

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I definatly missing a peg.
My 92...
You must be registered for see images attach

My 93...
You must be registered for see images attach