92 Silverado 350 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dfeith

Reaction score
To fill you in I just bought the 'black betty' off my brother and now I'm wanting to do a 350 swap, and maybe even converting to a 383. As of right now she's pretty much stock, 4.3 TBI 5 speed manual; that is for now :evillol:

I was wondering;

• as far as the stock tranny goes and putting in the 350, will it be okay, or should I think about looking for another tranny?

• Also the guy I'm buying the 350 from has put new headers on, (was going into a El Camino) would I have to buy new headers to fit the chassy or will the ones he's got on work (Hooker Headers).

• Rookie question maybe? Goes with the 350 I'm buying, he says and I quote "It's a fuel injected 4 barrel with Holley double pump carburetor" does this just mean it's carb, or fuel injected? Sooo confusing lol.

I've got a few goodies pick out for the build so far if you have any input give it to mee

• 350 Engine of course :p

• Hooker Headers smog

• Exhaust system kit (Hooker)

And I'm still in the process for these:

• 4 Core Radiator

• Fuel pump?

• Electric fan x 2

After all said and done, my brother is worried about the suspension on the truck, should this be something I should upgrade before hand, or will I be okay with a 350?

If anyone could help with anything that I'v missed, skipping the obvious ones, hoses, mounts, muffler and what not it would be appreciated!

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Are you trying to keep this thing computer controlled? The stock trans is probably a 4L60-E which needs a computer, and probably wont do too well with a 383. There are a lot of options here, depending on your goals. If your ditching the fuel injection/computer you'll need a TH400 or 700R4, even a built up TH350 trans.

So I guess we'll start there, computer controlled or carb'd?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He said 5 speed. The light duty 5 speeds were only rated at 300 ft lbs of torque. That happens to be what a stock tbi 350 puts out. Tranny is marginal at best in stock form. The frame rail side of the engine mounts need to be changed to V8 mounts. The narrow radiator can be used but it too is on the marginal side. The elco headers might work, couldn't tell you. If he doesn't have a clue as to injected or a Holley carburetor then I wouldn't bother going any further with him, his mechanical skills would scare me. The stock 4.3 fuel pump will work with a stock tbi 350 but if you start building power, you will need more fuel. The stock suspension is just fine. In regards to an electric fan, I would swap to the bigger radiator and use a set of factory fans from a ford winstar.

Dfeith

Reaction score
So I guess we'll start there, computer controlled or carb'd?

I'm honestly not 100% sure either way, I know the 350 is carb'd, but I'd like to do what's best, or simpler (second time engine swap/first time rebuild). Would the stock tranny be okay with the 350 alone? I still have plenty of saving time before the 383. haha

Dfeith

Reaction score
He said 5 speed. The light duty 5 speeds were only rated at 300 ft lbs of torque. That happens to be what a stock tbi 350 puts out. Tranny is marginal at best in stock form. The frame rail side of the engine mounts need to be changed to V8 mounts. The narrow radiator can be used but it too is on the marginal side. The elco headers might work, couldn't tell you. If he doesn't have a clue as to injected or a Holley carburetor then I wouldn't bother going any further with him, his mechanical skills would scare me. The stock 4.3 fuel pump will work with a stock tbi 350 but if you start building power, you will need more fuel. The stock suspension is just fine. In regards to an electric fan, I would swap to the bigger radiator and use a set of factory fans from a ford winstar.

I'd rather not be pushing my luck, as its been very poor lately hah. I think with what you said I would just get a new radiator and fan along with a bigger fuel pump, could always add a little power (;

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check out PMC Machine .com, They have a 383 direct replacement for t.b.I. and one for Vortec with 370 H.P. for under $3000 with 7 yeas 70,000 mile warranty. I want one but my original Vortec 5.7 L is running to good to replace.

Dfeith

Reaction score
Check out PMC Machine .com, They have a 383 direct replacement for t.b.I. and one for Vortec with 370 H.P. for under $3000 with 7 yeas 70,000 mile warranty. I want one but my original Vortec 5.7 L is running to good to replace.
Oohh, I will have to check that out! Thanks:)

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you get one I would be very interested to know who it works out. Also there web sight is detailed as to the install.

Dfeith

Reaction score
If you get one I would be very interested to know who it works out. Also there web sight is detailed as to the install.
I don't think I'll be getting it anytime soon, before I go to big I wanna see how she handles with a 350 in winter, haha.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hear you, as long as my original is running as good as it is, I won't either.