91 305ci distributor help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Changed the head gaskets in a 91 C1500 with a 305 motor.
Before I took it apart, I marked dead center pointing to front of truck on the base of the distributor.. On re-installing the rockers, only info I could find was starting at #1 cylinder adjust them till you can barely turn the push rod by fingers.. Then a half turn.. I did this as I turned the crank through the firing order.. Also seen videos of tightening the rockers as the motor was running just till they stop wiggling.. Sooo, I kept turning the crank and snugged each loose one I found till none were loose as the crank turned full revolution..
I get everything together and it won't start. I tried turning the distributor while my wife started it.. I have it to where it'll finally start.. It idles choppy. But revs up smooth. The really weird thing is, now the distributor is sitting on #8 being in the spot where #1 was pointing originally... WTF is wrong?? I haven't gone this far into a motor since I was 14. So any help is greatly appreciated.. Lol I'm at a loss guys. Makes no sense to me