89 4" Lift Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found a 4" lift out of an 89' rcsb for 200 bucks if i pull it. Looking to put it in my 97 ecsb. How hard are these things to take off?

This is the truck
You must be registered for see images

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Depends. How is it lifted? Springs or blocks? Front? It isn't extremely hard but I personally would never buy used lifts. They aren't expensive new and you never know what the truck has gone through. That looks like it may have been put through the ringer. Also it doesn't look like 4". Looks like 2-3 with little tires on it.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
first up buy it, 2nd not bad just unbolt things that are different from yours.

it's been put on it can come off easier then putting it on the first time IMO.

2nd a grand for a new lift IS expensive, if it's not to someone then we need your checkbook to order some for ourselves.

3rd it's got torsion bar crossmember drops, those ONLY come on 4 inch and bigger kits. I say it's more of a 6 inch kit or can be.

It may be a 4 inch diff. drop bet you can crank to a 6 inch front lift though.

If I were you I'd be wrenching on it right now.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How hard it comes off depends on how long it has been on and if installer used any anti-seize. T-bars could be seized into the keys and control arms, bolts seized in bushings. Also depending on what type of lift it is, either a knuckle or full drop, a knuckle lift will be less time.
The knuckle lift should also still use stock steering, whereas a full drop will have a new centerlink and spacer for the idler arm. The 89 will use a 2-bolt idler arm where your 97 uses a 3 bolt so you will have to track down a different spacer for it there.
Should be no problem buying used as long as no signs of an accident. I would buy new bolts, atleast all new locking nuts.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
How hard it comes off depends on how long it has been on and if installer used any anti-seize. T-bars could be seized into the keys and control arms, bolts seized in bushings. Also depending on what type of lift it is, either a knuckle or full drop, a knuckle lift will be less time.
The knuckle lift should also still use stock steering, whereas a full drop will have a new centerlink and spacer for the idler arm. The 89 will use a 2-bolt idler arm where your 97 uses a 3 bolt so you will have to track down a different spacer for it there.
Should be no problem buying used as long as no signs of an accident. I would buy new bolts, atleast all new locking nuts.

That is why I asked what kind of lift it was. I wouldn't touch it until I knew exactly what I was getting.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
geez what makes a difference? IMO a $200 lift and buy new bolts or this and that and some hard labor is better then a grand or more anyday in my book.

IMo remove the t-bars and crossmember all in one, he won't need them anyways, being a lift, from what I've seen they don't have new t-bars in the lift, just diff, drops, steering corrections, bolts, brackets etc.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
What is he gonna do with the truck after you take the lift off? I would try and pick up the truck for 500 and swap the lift to your current truck and either scrap or sell the other truck with your stock suspension for profit.

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like he's just parting it out. Im assuming I would have to jack it up where it sits and try and tear the b*tch apart without my air tools. And being an 89' who knows how long its been just sitting.