88-94 Stereo and speaker setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBrosMo

Reaction score
Hey all... reading lots but so many different opinions and options. I am not a car audiophile and I understand most of it's personal preference but is there a general consensus on speakers in the 88-94's? Everything is stock in my 93 ESCB right now. Should I:

-new HU (probably going with a Kenwood KDC-BT855u)
-Put in new 2-way 4x6's in the dash
-Fab in new 6.5" 2-ways into the doors
-And forget about the pillars in the back (just cut the wires and leave 'em be)

I'll probably add in one of these slim 10" pioneer subs somewhere too: http://www.crutchfield.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=130SWX251&Click=53964

Thoughts on this?

f3joel

Reaction score
IMO, forget about the 4x6's in the dash and fab a good component set into the doors.
Thats my plan anyway...

BigBrosMo

Reaction score
But aren't you going to sacrifice a fuller, surrounding (not in the Dolby sense, I mean space filling) sound with only speakers in the doors?

midnightblue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ditched all the crappy 4x6 speakers and running a good set of 6.5 fosgates in my doors and it sounds really good.

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
I'm f'd from the get-go. 93 dash, full SUV body. I have no idea what to use, and where to put it, to get a full sound in all that air volume. It's always been like that with SUV's and I. There is a reason new factory yukons are running 400+ watts through 6-10 speakers. How to replicate that for less than 500 bucks has always been a challenge.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
Hey all... reading lots but so many different opinions and options. I am not a car audiophile and I understand most of it's personal preference but is there a general consensus on speakers in the 88-94's? Everything is stock in my 93 ESCB right now. Should I:

-new HU (probably going with a Kenwood KDC-BT855u)
-Put in new 2-way 4x6's in the dash
-Fab in new 6.5" 2-ways into the doors
-And forget about the pillars in the back (just cut the wires and leave 'em be)

I'll probably add in one of these slim 10" pioneer subs somewhere too: http://www.crutchfield.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=130SWX251&Click=53964

Thoughts on this?

2 ways in the dash, and doors is going to make the system very bright.
I'd reccomend a 3 way setup. mids and highs in the dash, and midbass in the doors, but you did not mention a front channel amp. Or a two way setup, tweeter in the dash, an mid in the doors.
Agreed on not including the rear speakers at all. The left rear is closest to your head, and thats all you'll hear. (assuming it's regular cab)

midnightblue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i actually eliminated the fronts, and left the rear speakers in, and i just faded the rear speakers out so you can barley hear them but they still make some noise.

midnightblue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see you have an extended cab. Not a single cab. Im pretty sure you can get 6x9s in the stock position for the rear speakers. I would do that