700r4 whine and hesitation please help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKc1500

Reaction score
Hey guys! First post, please forgive me if the etiquette isn't correct in any way. I looked through 50 pages of the section, and found nothing of this particular issue.

So I was driving the other day, and all was good (about a 10 mile drive half and half highway and street), and then came to a stop sign. Once I started moving again, the car would whine really loud (supercharger sound), from what seems like the transmission. Out of simply nowhere! Luckily my destination was right after that stop sign so i was able to park and get it towed home eventually, to avoid driving it and doing further damage.

I went for a test drive and at first it did the following: It would drive in OD (though felt a little weak), but make the noise that would get higher in pitch with speed, it eventually shifts into second noise would continue, but seemingly change with the rpm. If I put it in neutral (so it just rolls), the noise stops immediately and completely. It drives fine in reverse without noise. When i reached the end of the street, the noise stopped and the transmission went into safety mode.

I changed the fluid and the filter (they were pretty gross but not terminally, didn't smell burnt or anything like that). From the looks of the gasket, last time it was opened was at the factory it was assembled in (200.000 miles ago).
I put it back together and went for a test drive and the noise is still all there.

I'm a little bit at a loss here, as the transmission is kind of a clandestine element to me (just never really messed with it too much). Any ideas on what it could possible be? Is it R&R time or could this be salvaged somehow? And I'm pretty sure 200k is pretty heroic anyway, considering that from the looks of it had no service in the past so it might just be that its time has come, but it's my daily truck so i guess i got a decision to make. Thank you all in advance.

The car is

'89 C1500ext 5.7 TBI, 700r4 (4l60) 200.000 ODO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MountainDont