7.4L CMP Retard -16

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zephian

Reaction score
They are very likely originals. The truck has sat for at least a month or so. I put some 'Injector Cleaner' in the tank before I drove off this morning.

I will need to check the paperwork, the truck has been in my wife's family all it's life and it always went to the same shop so I've got decent records. I don't recall seeing any injectors done on it though.

Googling lead my down the same path. Looks like it's pretty easy to replace (and I good time to do the oil pressure sensor I've been conveniently forgetting about)
Is there a recommended method of testing the injectors? As much as I'd love to do it anyways to upgrade to more efficient injectors I'm not quite ready financially to start on my long list of 'fixes' for this truck yet.

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am not an authority on injectors sure someone will chime in , Mine can with a set in the console. I put them in made a world of difference. They were higher flow rate and truck still needs tuned but old injectors had one was just dumping fuel.

Zephian

Reaction score
I am not an authority on injectors sure someone will chime in , Mine can with a set in the console. I put them in made a world of difference. They were higher flow rate and truck still needs tuned but old injectors had one was just dumping fuel.
Ah, very nice. I'm in California and with the new smog regulations a tune will automatically fail me now, so I would be limited on the replacements I could do.

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you will have to stick with the factory flow but the bosch injector work much better than the factory style.

Zephian

Reaction score
@Zephian Read the first page of this thread it covers the injectors

The Official Vortec 454 Info thread.​

Thanks. My google-fu brought me to same injector from 5-0 mentioned in this thread. I do hope that's not the issue because I'm not getting that far in without redoing the intake gaskets... and while those injectors are cheap compared to my 6.0 diesel (not chevy, sorry it was cheap :p ) they aren't that cheap... haha.

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't had bottom part of intake off. top was not hard , but PO had removed a/c so that wasn't in the way. You only have to take top half to do injectors unless your leaking coolant, no need to remove bottom to my knowledge. Jusmake sure you don't trap any of your wiring to the coil or module as it is hard to see,

Zephian

Reaction score
I haven't had bottom part of intake off. top was not hard , but PO had removed a/c so that wasn't in the way. You only have to take top half to do injectors unless your leaking coolant, no need to remove bottom to my knowledge. Jusmake sure you don't trap any of your wiring to the coil or module as it is hard to see,
There is a slight amount of coolant leaking out the lower / back side and valve covers need resealed... I'd rather do it all once lol.