6" lift good or bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gamikatsu

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warner Robins GA (South of Atlanta 1.5 Hr)
Ok, i have a 91 K2500 truck, long bed heavy duty 14 bolt rear, and not quite sure which front. My truck has a 6" ranchero lift, ( I believe they market it as a 4" lift but its actually 6" ). i have read, that the IFS was prone to breaking with 6" lifts or bigger... what should i look for or watch for, and how can i prolong the hardwarer to last longer with light/mild offroading... mabey medium mud.. deeper than 12-18 inches of water... just enough to get to my hunting areas.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the problem isn't the lift, it's with the lift the urge to run larger tires, or deep dish wheels, the added weight destroys the unit bearings or wears them out faster, and if it is a 4 inch kit most crank them to 6 or more. When you crank the torsion bars way up it makes for bad angles on tie rods, ball joints, cv's etc. if you do this that causes them to wear bad. or get destroyed.

So lifts are fine, just stick with a reasonable wheel and tire package not hanging way out past the body and don't crank the bars to the max.

Gamikatsu

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK WELL i know the CV joints and all front bearings were changed 3 weeks ago, when the 35" tires were put on... I just bought the tru ck and have all the reciptes for this stuff. I'm normally a Solid Axle guy... but the deal on a near mint condition truck, with ranchero lift and Brand new BFG 35x1250x15 mud terrains... i just had to!only upgrade i will need to do is steering box supports, or whatever... gotta look into it... the Power steering is strained pretty badly... and i dno't wanna blow anything up at a bad time..

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think they have steering box supports for these trucks you are thinking the 73-87 truck sthey are bad for it. As far as the sterring being strained yea that's probably gonna happen with 35's. Might be a worn part though or weak pump or gear box.

Gamikatsu

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm... so m uch to learn... i was a 73-86 truck guy..... miss my 83 blazer like my first born son... i NEVER should have sold it....... *cries man tears inside*

I have so many questions about the GMT 400 series trucks.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like Swims said the lift is not the problem its the size tire and how much cranked you are. I go through less wear parts with the 6" suspension and 35's then I did cranked and 33's. Luckly have yet to break anything in the front end yet since I have been running 35's and these Pitbulls are heavy. Sounds like you use your truck very similar to mine too, as long as your angles are good to keep the CV`s flat, I think you should be safe.

Dragit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You may have a issue with your power steering I can't really tell a deference in mine with 35s on it.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^ I was thinking the same plenty of guys with 33's and 35's and bigger and never heard mention of issues but I'm sure it does strain some.