6.5td mechanical wastegate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am in a situation where my vacuum pump has taken a crap. Now, I would just *love* to put in a spring to replace the vacuum actuator, and that's all easy and so forth, but... What about electronics? For what I've understood and what I've been told by a local 6.5 wizard, everything is linked to everything, electronically, so, if I delete the vacuum pump, the thing won't run. properly, anyway. Anyone who has done this, what does it take, in terms of altering the computer? Because apparently, nobody around here is capable of that level programming and I myself am not very skilled in electronics, as in, I can join wires and I understand how relays and fuses work... Any help would be much appreciated, for as rolling lots of coal is fun, but when I have places to be and not too much money to spend on fuel, the joke starts to get old. Also losing stop light races to stock corollas kinda eats up my overall and especially, self respect as a young man :D

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I am not a 6.5 expert by any means whatsoever, not even close, but do you know about Heath Diesel's Turbo-Master mechanical wastegate controller? Check with Heath; they don't seem to indicate that any special programming is required to use it. They recommend programming for optimal performance, but does not seem to be required...

Richard

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am not a 6.5 expert by any means whatsoever, not even close, but do you know about Heath Diesel's Turbo-Master mechanical wastegate controller? Check with Heath; they don't seem to indicate that any special programming is required to use it. They recommend programming for optimal performance, but does not seem to be required...

Richard
That's what's confusing me, because everywhere it's implied that you only need the turbomaster and a shorter belt, but then this guy that's built his career on these things and almost has 6.5 tattooed on his forehead says different and I trust him on this, but then there's so many places where you hear that you don't need to touch anything electrical... For example this one guy I know said he just put a spring over the actuator and has a tune that cuts off fuel supply at the limit. I'd much appreciate it if anyone who has done it themselves could pitch in and tell about the process and how they achieved it

Lähetetty minun COL-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All you do is leave the vacuum solenoid hooked up. The problem that you may have is over boosting and defueling. Either adjust the spring or add a potentiometer to the map signal wire.

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All you do is leave the vacuum solenoid hooked up. The problem that you may have is over boosting and defueling. Either adjust the spring or add a potentiometer to the map signal wire.
But if the solenoid is left in place, it'll tell the computer that there is no vacuum and thus screw it up? And this map wire, it controls or senses the need for more fuel, or..? Interesting idea, definitely

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But if the solenoid is left in place, it'll tell the computer that there is no vacuum and thus screw it up? And this map wire, it controls or senses the need for more fuel, or..? Interesting idea, definitely

Nope. It doesn't sense vacuum. The map sensor doesn't either. The only thing that the pcm knows is if the solenoid (think of it as a switch for the vacuum) isn't working. If you overboost (sensed by map) it will defuel.