6.5L engine cranks but won't start, after being degreased and power washed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tornexted

Reaction score
I degreased and power washed the engine bay of my truck at a garage, and after doing so, I headed back home. It did shut down on me once as I was driving, but started back up again smoothly. I headed back home without any incidents occurring. At home, I parked on an upright hill, I turned off the engine and turned it back on again. It started up just fine, but a couple seconds after running, it shut down again. After this shut down, it hasn't started back up ever since. The engine cranks, we used starting fluid (just a little) a couple times and it seems like no fuel is reaching the engine cylinders. We've bled the fuel lines at the fuel filter and the little valve that's located next to the engine oil fill port. We've tried to start it up like 15 times and no luck. Any suggestions?

I drive a 96 k3500 Silverado with a 6.5L, 221K miles. The degreaser was from a brand called Gunk.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
We've figured it out, I'm sorry guys. The PMD died and we replaced it with another one. Afgtewr replacing it, it started up like new.
Known trouble spot on these engines; it may have just been coincidence it croaked after your degreasing job. If you haven't relocated the PMD off the engine you may want to look into kits for this as heat from the engine is what seems to kill them the quickest.

These kits are all similar but there are some differences, so you may want to research before cashing up.

Richard

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We've figured it out, I'm sorry guys. The PMD died and we replaced it with another one. Afgtewr replacing it, it started up like new.
Where do you have the PMD mounted? If its in the engine bay get it out of there. Leroy diesel, quadstar tuning, badger diesel make quailty relocation kits that will get out from under the hood. The best place is behind the front license plate. Just to give you a idea leroy sells his relocation kit for about 80 bucks and the kit with new pmd and resistor for about 230. Just another thought did you also swap the resistor over when you changed the PMD?

Last edited:

Tornexted

Reaction score
Where do you have the PMD mounted? If its in the engine bay get it out of there. Leroy diesel, quadstar tuning, badger diesel make quailty relocation kits that will get out from under the hood. The best place is behind the front license plate. Just to give you a idea leroy sells his relocation kit for about 80 bucks and the kit with new pmd and resistor for about 230. Just another thought did you also swap the resistor over when you changed the PMD?
Current PMD is mounted below a heatsink, below the blue circle. I will buy another one that's a better quality like you guys suggested, thanks everyone.
You must be registered for see images attach

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like I had stated I would get it out of the engine bay. From everything I have read and been told heat soak is what kills them. When Stanadyne designed them they said the coolish fuel running through the injection pump would keep them cool. I don't think they considered or thought what would happen when the engine was shut down and everything just sat and baked till the engine itself cooled off. I by no means am a expert but I think that what the aftermarket has come up with is a much better plan to keep them alive. And a lot eaiser to replace as well. No pulling the intake to remove the mounting screws.