502 swap in my 1996 C3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Doing the 496 stroker kit sounds like the best way to go. that way all parts will go back on. thanks for all the suggestions. John Cunningham, where do i get the best 496 kit

Check out summit, the best is pretty relative but I see an eagle kit with forged pistons for only $1650. You're going to want to check what your CR is gonna be, this was just a quick search.

amsterdam96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 3500 with a 502 crate engine in there. Previous owner left it sitting for a long time so it needs major work. I have to unravel a lot of the mysteries that have been left behind by previous mechanics. I can keep you posted with whatever I find, if you like.
I'm even considering making a 'build thread', despite the fact that it's more reverse engineering and salvaging in this case.
Let me know.

Edit:
In relation to your question, mine has a supercharger that comes with one of the 'crate' packages. It also has an aftermarket Digital Fuel Injection ECM. I'm having to figure out to what extend this controle module communicates with the ALDL/stock on-board computer.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 3500 with a 502 crate engine in there. Previous owner left it sitting for a long time so it needs major work. I have to unravel a lot of the mysteries that have been left behind by previous mechanics. I can keep you posted with whatever I find, if you like.
I'm even considering making a 'build thread', despite the fact that it's more reverse engineering and salvaging in this case.
Let me know.

Edit:
In relation to your question, mine has a supercharger that comes with one of the 'crate' packages. It also has an aftermarket Digital Fuel Injection ECM. I'm having to figure out to what extend this controle module communicates with the ALDL/stock on-board computer.
Please do make some sort of thread.

justjoshnya

Reaction score
I'm building a 496 instead but did look vary hard at the 502 option. Cost wise a 496 or 489 just makes more sense and more power at the low end. Just my 2 cents

489burb

Reaction score
the crate kits rarely come with a forged bottom end, although if your shooting for less than ~550hp you don't really need to go forged. I opted to do a stroker 489 on mine, lots of sidewall left with only a 0.03 bore, the 496 makes the sidewalls a little thin with the 0.06bore. If you don't want to go overboard, a rebuild with a 489 bottom end, select pistons that will get you 9.5:1 static comp, a slightly lumpy cam, clean up the heads, should be able to get ~500hp with the stock heads & fuel injection. Luckly being a vortec your block is already roller cam and has reasonable heads