5.7 Vortec intermittent long crank --> crank no start, backfires, clunking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with a 1997 Suburban. That was the fuel pump. If you’ve replaced the regulator then I recommend replacing the fuel pump. I don’t like throwing parts at a problem but that’s what I would do.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Same exact issue? Where it starts fine overnight or less than 15ish minutes?

Ill still take the upper intake off to inspect injectors/regulator to be totally sure (i can get it apart in 15 min lol), and if they are fine, I will be convinced that its the fuel pump.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Newbie question, but if my check valve did happen to be leaking, would I replace just the cylinder-looking thing that I circled? Or that entire pump assembly?

Anything else I should think about replacing while I would be in there?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Newbie question, but if my check valve did happen to be leaking, would I replace just the cylinder-looking thing that I circled?
The "cylinder-looking thing" IS the fuel pump. The rest of it is just support structure.

Anything else I should think about replacing while I would be in there?
Filter sock that goes on the bottom of the pump, and the wire harness.

However, you have the option to replace the entire unit.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got it. Ive heard that Walbro (as long as its not counterfeited) makes good fuel pumps for these trucks. Does anyone know what Walbro pumps fit a 5.7 vortec? Btw the motor is stock, so I don't need crazy fuel pressure.

docstoy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking at your pic, the wiring going to fuel pump looks to have been overheated, is that just optical illusion because of where it is ?

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey guys, I pulled the upper intake today to confirm for sure that my fairly new spider/reg aren’t leaking. They are not. After doing this, it would crank but not start at all. Truck is getting adequate fuel pressure and I can hear the pump whine for 2 sec when key is on. Is it possible still that the fuel pump is my problem? Or something else?

Last edited:

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

My cap and roto look like this. Is it normal, and if not, could this cause a crank no start?