5.7 Vortec intermittent long crank --> crank no start, backfires, clunking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a VERY STRONG preference for a spark tester that forces the spark to jump a calibrated gap instead of making a light-bulb glow.

The whole purpose of the spark is to jump the gap at the end of the spark plug, when the plug is under compression pressure. A weak spark can make a light-bulb glow, but perhaps not jump the spark plug gap when the plug is under pressure.

A spark plug in open atmosphere doesn't load the coil enough. Therefore, a spark tester calibrated for HEI, where you can SEE the spark jump, is the better way to test coil power.

There's multiple designs of spark testers that have an actual spark gap, this is my favorite style:
www.amazon.com/dp/B003WZXAWK/?coliid=I3S98D7T1J0RLJ&colid=2VLYZKC3HBBDO&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
I have a VERY STRONG preference for a spark tester that forces the spark to jump a calibrated gap instead of making a light-bulb glow.

The whole purpose of the spark is to jump the gap at the end of the spark plug, when the plug is under compression pressure. A weak spark can make a light-bulb glow, but perhaps not jump the spark plug gap.

Therefore, a spark tester calibrated for HEI, where you can SEE the spark jump, is the better way to test coil power.

There's multiple designs of spark testers that have an actual spark gap, this is my favorite style:
www.amazon.com/dp/B003WZXAWK/?coliid=I3S98D7T1J0RLJ&colid=2VLYZKC3HBBDO&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it
thanks I did not know that just thought it was better then sticking the plug in the plug wire and touch it to ground or stick a screw driver in the plug wire and touch it to ground

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have started to also get occasional backfires while cranking it, as well as occasional clunks. No start still. Pretty sure it has to be something ignition or timing related. My neighbor mentioned a worn starter, but would that make it backfire? I’m starting to think it’s a slipped timing chain, sticking valve, or worn dist gear.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I recently found out about a trick where you unplug plug wire 3 and if it starts right up, you got a bad distributor cap. Well guess what IT STARTED RIGHT UP after I did that. Blue distributor cap on the way. I would be lost without the wizards in this forum ahahaha

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you unplug plug wire 3 and if it starts right up, you got a bad distributor cap.
that is pretty interesting to me never new or heard about that before
That bit of wisdom has been floating around this forum for a year or more, but doesn't get a lot of publicity.

I'm thinking that #3 is the conductor that bends around the central coil-wire conductor in the distributor cap. The plastic insulation there is under the most stress, due to the coil wire firing four times per crank revolution while the conductors for the plugs fire once every two revolutions. The plastic fails progressively from the central coil wire button outward...until it punches-through to the #3 conductor.
Photo shamelessly stolen from...somebody.
You must be registered for see images attach

or this photo, stolen from a recent post by Road Trip:

Removing the #3 plug wire opens that circuit again, so that the spark is more-likely to go where it's supposed to, except of course to #3 cylinder. An engine running on seven cylinders still runs better than one firing only #3

(Or have I mis-numbered the conductor bending around the coil wire button?)

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That bit of wisdom has been floating around this forum for a year or more, but doesn't get a lot of publicity.

I'm thinking that #3 is the conductor that bends around the central coil-wire conductor in the distributor cap. The plastic insulation there is under the most stress, due to the coil wire firing four times per crank revolution while the conductors for the plugs fire once every two revolutions. The plastic fails progressively from the central coil wire button outward...until it punches-through to the #3 conductor.
Photo shamelessly stolen from...somebody.

EDIT: I'm 99% sure that this photo was originally shared by @L31MaxExpress, and it was
related to a failure he experienced a short distance from home. I liked the dramatic failure on display,
a memorable photo!

or this photo, stolen from a recent post by Road Trip:

Removing the #3 plug wire opens that circuit again, so that the spark is more-likely to go where it's supposed to, except of course to #3 cylinder. An engine running on seven cylinders still runs better than one firing only #3

(Or have I mis-numbered the conductor bending around the coil wire button?)

Schurkey,

You got it right, #3 is the run closest to the coil wire button. Here's a bird's eye view
of the Vortec distributor cap showing both the run in question and the cylinder #:

@slow_c1500 , nice job coming back and closing the loop with what you discovered and
the final fix. This is exactly what should always occur in order to turn these threads from
helpful/thoughtful suggestions from the talent in the forum into no-kidding proven fixes for
other GMT400 pilots researching similar issues after the fact.

Thank you for this. Well played --

Last edited:

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should I be worried about timing or anything being off, since i had cranked it a little bit with it only running on one cylinder? Or will i be good to go once the new (quality) cap is in?