5.7 Vortec intermittent long crank --> crank no start, backfires, clunking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How long should I (or the other person) have to crank it to see a spark? I don’t want to crank it unnecessarily long

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it starts fine when everything is either hot or cold, but hard starts while it's cooling down.

Disproportionate cooling item? something external is cooling down faster than the engine itself and losing proper signal/connection during that time?

crank position sensor? starter solenoid issue? battery cables/connections? just spitballin'

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good news, ignition coil does spark. So does that mean that the rest of the ignition system is fine, just the spark isn’t getting to the plugs? Or could it still be a cam/crank sensor?

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
I do not know about the sensors but maybe a new cap and rotor maybe a set of plug wires might fix you up at least your coil and ignition module is good

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I should mention that when I did that test, the coil wire was plugged into the cap and not the ignition coil. Because of this, I wanna say the cap and rotor are good for now. Should I repeat this test with it plugged in oppositely?

It has to be something that, if it went bad, would make all 8 cylinders lose spark. Plug wires are good, ac delco, replaced them about a year ago. It can’t be spark plugs cause they wouldn’t all 8 suddenly die at the same time with zero previous misfires to warn me.

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
this is what I do I check to see if the coil is sending spark to the cap then I check to see if the spark is getting to the spark plugs from what you are saying it sounds like you are getting spark to the plugs what you need to find out is if you have continous spark or intermintant spark when you checked the spark was it a bright white/blue or a dul yelow orange if it is dul/dim that is weak spark when you get started again I would look at live data if your scan tool can do that might help