5.7 vortec bolt ons.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah but after all of that is done I could of set a date and had the truck up on the dyno and tuned, seems more feasable especially since I'm a college student and bang for buck is a big deal. Just taking a rough estimate I would be looking at around 600-700 bucks to get my tune through BBP whereas I could drive 40 mins south to a tu er and have the tune and a few power runs for 450.

Sent from a ditch somewhere

What?? I just looked on BBP's site, the spare PCM for our trucks is only $50. All total for the tune from them you're looking at $290 including a spare. Free re-tunes for life. The CASE relearn is a 15 minute procedure that any shop with that scanner should do for less than an hour of labor even if they don't know you. Where are you pulling $6-700 from?

Last edited:

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm factoring in the 120$/hr labor rate at my dealership, gas, and diesel (I'd tow it there with my buddy's f350)

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm factoring in the 120$/hr labor rate at my dealership, gas, and diesel (I'd tow it there with my buddy's f350)

Why would you have to tow anything? If you're talking about getting it to the shop for the CASE relearn you can just drive it there. There will be no negative effects from driving it with the CEL illuminated in this situation, it's basically just throwing a code because the new PCM needs to be paired to the truck. All you have to do to swap the PCMs is unplug the old and plug in the new.

EDIT - Also I'm sorry but if you're paying $120/hour labor that is terrible. Especially for a CASE relearn. We're talking about something that takes almost no time.

Last edited:

jlcms2007

Reaction score
What?? I just looked on BBP's site, the spare PCM for our trucks is only $50. All total for the tune from them you're looking at $290 including a spare. Free re-tunes for life. The CASE relearn is a 15 minute procedure that any shop with that scanner should do for less than an hour of labor even if they don't know you. Where are you pulling $6-700 from?

That's a no brainer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score

There is no case relearn on a black box. It's strictly plug and play. No reason to go to a dealership for anything. You can take that portion out of the money cyphering.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is no case relearn on a black box. It's strictly plug and play. No reason to go to a dealership for anything. You can take that portion out of the money cyphering.

Well now that is interesting. My mechanic had a heck of a time trying to perform one after I swapped PCMs, tried multiple scanners including a Tech-2. No CEL was ever thrown, he told me that in this rare case it might not be necessary. Guess he was right, didn't know that applied to all the black box PCMs though. Good to know!

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Well now that is interesting. My mechanic had a heck of a time trying to perform one after I swapped PCMs, tried multiple scanners including a Tech-2. No CEL was ever thrown, he told me that in this rare case it might not be necessary. Guess he was right, didn't know that applied to all the black box PCMs though. Good to know!

Black Bear did mine. Email them with any questions. I have the black box and it was a plug and play. I returned my old computer for the core, but wish I had kept it now. I'll probably pick another one up in a junkyard or off ebay in order to have a spare for when I get around to doing some more modifications and needing to send mine back for reprogramming.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Black Bear did mine. Email them with any questions. I have the black box and it was a plug and play. I returned my old computer for the core, but wish I had kept it now. I'll probably pick another one up in a junkyard or off ebay in order to have a spare for when I get around to doing some more modifications and needing to send mine back for reprogramming.

Black Bear did mine too. I kept mine as a spare for occasions like you mentioned, or if I ever want to swap back to a factory tune for some reason. Wish I would have thought to email them about my issue with trying to perform the CASE relearn, I just read through their FAQ and didn't see any exceptions to the relearn procedure mentioned so I figured it was necessary. That's what I get for assuming! Oh well, good thing my mechanic is a family friend and didn't charge me anything for the inconvenience. Guess maybe I owe him another case of beer for that one!

TrailBlazerZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, it didn't appear on the thread search, but don't forget about the electronic injector upgrade GM sells for these motors.