5.7 Rod Knock? just bought it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000_Z-71

Reaction score
New to the forum with this truck, was on here with my old sierra, so :gmfs:

Bought a 2000 Chevy Tahoe Z-71 (OBS) last week. Owned by an older guy who had it for 45K miles with no problems other than him doing a set of brakes, fuel pump, and intake gaskets (or so he said).
When I test drove the truck, I started it cold and heard a light squeal and noticed the tensioner bouncing every which way. Came back two days later and started it again to buy it. Started right up...had a slight lifter tick, but nothing bad at all...went away after about 5-10 seconds. I figured I could run some tranny fluid through it to clean it out. The block was COLD when I started it before buying. I checked before I fired it up.

Paid $4500 for the truck (new tires, shocks, and the above mentioned work) 145K miles and no rust (rare for a MI GMT400). Well the next day when I hopped in to drive to work (after sitting outside at 0 degrees all night), it cranked for about 10 seconds then fired up. I've owned two GMT400's (95 Yukon GT and a 98 Sierra) so I figured it was a bad fuel pump that was allowing pressure to leak down (had same issue on both trucks). Once it started, it had a terrible sound, sounds like the piston slap on my dad's 4.8L GMT800 but worse. Went away after warm up. Went to work (I work at AutoZone) and tested the schraeder valve on the fuel line. Sure enough, bad fuel pump. Did a complete tune up on it that night (tensioner pulley, dayco serp belt, idler pulley (had play), lucas fuel system treatment, autolite dbl platinum plugs, wires, cap and rotor, air cleaner, cleaned MAF, oil change with Pennzoil hi-mileage and fram filter, DEX VI trans fluid w/ filter, new diff cover gasket and lucas 80W-90rear end dope). Ran 4.1 qts oil and 1 qt lucas oil stabilizer in the engine oil (10w-30) hoping to make it go away for the time being. The tune up and oil change made it worse, now it has the (knock?) at all times, warm or hot. It increases with RPM's as well. Needless to say, I'm pissed, guy wont answer my calls.

I can get the master rebuild kit (with pistons) through AutoZone for $450 with .030 over pistons (http://www.fme-cat.com/Application....=Engine&subcat=Engine Kits&brand=Sealed Power). Wanted to see if you guys had any experience using these kits.

The video is crappy, had to compress to upload because I took it in HQ on my phone, but you can clearly hear what sounds like to me a rod knock...if I'm off let me know. Much appreciated from SW Michigan.

View My Video

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does your oil pressure bounch around really bad? When I lost my bottom end it did, I lost cylinder 1 and 2 bearings. Sounds like rod knock to me. I have seen a harmonic balancer knock really bad and rub that sounds like that as well. Im sure you bought it as is, and the previous owner isnt going to help out any, good luck let us know what happens

2000_Z-71

Reaction score
Oil pressure isn't terrible. around 20 at idle, 40 normal driving and 55 if I romp on it (which sounds terrible with the rod knock so im not doing that anymore). Followed the generic rule of 10 PSI per 1000RPM so seemed fine to me. Gauge does bounce over bumps. previous owner and I signed a bill of sale for 'as-is'. all in all, I'm not that upset, gives me a chance to wrench on it and do it right and at least I'm back in a GMT400. probably be doing an engine overhaul write-up soon.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Hmmm, by your description of what its doing I'm willing to bet the oil you pulled out of the engine was a wee bit "thicker" than what you put in....

Can't really blame the guy for not returning your calls. Private sales are always final.

Not much he can do for you anyways if it was good when he sold it and now its sick. That kind of stuff happens sometimes, a vehicle is sold right before a failure. Coincidence....

Unfortunately, if he pulled a fast one on you by filling the crankcase with straight 50w or something he's going to get away with it.

Except; karma is a biotch...

2000_Z-71

Reaction score
What really baffled me was that the oil seemed like a regular 10w and wasn't milky or didn't appear to have additional additives. Picked up a new alternator and cam so wrenching will soon begin.