4x4 Pitman Arm Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Next thing on my to do list for my K2500 is to install new tie rod ends, adjustment sleeves, idler arm, and pitman arm. I ordered all Moog parts.

Anyone have any tips on pulling the pitman arm without air tools? I will be removing the steering box as it’s a simple job and I need new power steering lines anyways. I’ve been soaking the arm in Kroil. No road salt here so corrosion is minimal.

I ordered the Lisle pitman arm puller. From what I have read it appears cranking it on tight and smacking it with a hammer might jolt the arm loose.

Trying to avoid taking the box to a local shop to have the arm removed...

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
You're not doing inner tie-rods?

I would assume the lisle tool would do it even though I'm not familiar with that specific tool. I pulled one off a box and don't recall having any problems.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used this one on my 98, it’s definitely easier to just pull the gearbox and hit it with an impact. Popped it off in a few seconds.

You must be registered for see images attach

If you have a Lowe’s up there, they have a 6-gallon Craftsman pancake compressor on sale for $99. That would do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that pitman arm puller works alright without air in a pinch. Did fine on mine, just make sure the threads are lubed up. You'll need a breaker bar to loosen the nut, which you can do against the steering stops without too much risk. Loosen the big nut before you take anything else apart.