4x4 engage be itself

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwaters416

Reaction score
On My 97 k1500 if I turn into a tight parking spot the 4x4 will engage by itself. The light in the switch will stay in 2wd. Also on bumpy roads it will do it once in a while. Where should I start looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
on my 97 burb I have noticed that the front has like 25% power to while in rwd. I watched an emmisions tech put this truck on a dyno and it tried to jump off... I freaked out and he apologized and did the idle test instead.

I have also noticed if I'm turning at full lock the truck dosent really like it and slides a bit, it dosent jump or anything.

it's possible this is not how it's supposed to be but that's the way my truck has been since the day I bought it 10 years ago.

how do you know it's in 4x4?

dwaters416

Reaction score
Mine is the same way. I know it the 4wd because I can stop engage the 4wd roll forward then hit the 2wd button back up and it’s fine for and until I get into tight parking areas

dwaters416

Reaction score
I replace the actuator and it still does it. It don’t do it all the time just once in a while.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now this is interesting.

I recently had that happen with my 96 when turning into a parking lot at about 10 mph, but it was just momentarily, and the only time it has happened.

Which actuator are you guys using, electric or thermal?

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
243c tcase, push button electric. as far as I know, my truck is fine.

It's not that complicated of a circuit. I wonder if you might have chafed wires that are connecting or grounding out and activating somehow.

upon recently learning how to activate 2Low by rewiring the circuit with a toggle switch, they say the light on the dash does function when activated so I kinda think if it is in 4x4, the light should activate. but I have never personally worked on the 4x4 drivetrain other than to test and change the front diffs actuator.

Al